Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of ordering the Ghost Ring sights from Express Sights for my 39a. I like that the set comes with a post front sight. I have a Willams peep and firesight on my 336 and I think I will like a flat topped front sight better. It is difficult to use the firesight in a 6 o'clock hold and it covers too much of the target to us it any other way.

If you have tried the Express Sights on a 39a please post your experiece, likes, dislikes, etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
My 39A sports a Williams 5D with the insert taken out of it. At .22 ranges (less than a 100yd or so) it works just fine. If I wanted to make the smallest possible group, I'd put the insert back in. I've had the AO Ghost on the 1895GS from the first and I like shooting that better than the Scout Scope.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I agree with Wuchak's assesment of the bead on the 39-A being too large. It is too big even for the 1/2" BDT bull at 25 yds- it covers it up fairly well. Marble's makes a front sourdough sight for the CAS crowd that looks like it will do very well on the 39-A. I have done some fairly tight shooting with a small aperture in a Redfield 70 target receiver sight, and a plain jane front post that I made from a broken AR front sight, on my 39-A. The post front is much easier to use than a bead.... go with as narrow a front post as your eyes will tolerate....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. I just placed my order. It will be here in 2-3 days. I'll post a review once it's installed and I get out to the range. If it doesn't warm up here in KC that might take awhile.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The sights arrived today and are installed. It took about 10 minutes. XS even included a plastic punch in the set to drive out the factory rear sight. It can be left on but it looks better with just a plug (not included) in the dovetail.

I had to use a blueing touch-up marker on the barrel where the factory sight sliding elevation adjuster wore through the blueing. It's the first time I've used one and I am pleased with the results.

The sights fit the profile of the 39a nicely. In fact I think they look much nicer than the the Williams receiver peep on my 336. The XS sight is not so clunky and bulky looking.

I hope it warms up here in KC next week so I can get out to the range while I'm on vacation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts