Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for 450 Marlin info on the internet and ran a search. I came up with an article on the .450 Marlin at Wikipedia.org. In this article the author lists the .458X2 American as the parent cartridge of the .450 Marlin. I wrote a correction which got booted.

It seems that the author doesn't understand what a parent cartridge is. Simply put, it means that I can take that case and make another cartridge with it. Example: The .375 H&H MAgnum case can be converted to round like the .458 Win Mag. The .458 Win Mag can be shortened to make a .458X2 American. However unless you install metal to make the belt longer, you can't make any of the magnum cases into the .450 Marlin. And the loading data for the .458X2 American is not for the .450 Marlin.

After the .450 marlin came out, it was noted that it looks like the .458X2 American. If you fire the .458X2 American in your Marlin, you will be lucky if the case doesn't fail in front of the belt. The 1895 Marlins have a type of controled round feeding. The extractor will hold a magnum case and let it be fired, but don't be near the breach. :'(

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know they couldn't do this for liability purposes, but I wish they would have used a parent case. We wouldn't be stuck with the brass availability problem :mad:. It wouldn't be the first time they dropped a gun and shortly thereafter the ammo. Anybody seen any .41 Action Express ammo lately....my Jericho is starving!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great story and I have lake top property in Florida for sale too. That business about not wanting people to chamber the new round in a long magnum doesn't float. The .350 Rem Mag will go in most of the Weatherby Magnums, but that didn't stop Remington from making it. I have no problem in telling the difference between my .450 Marlin and my .338 Win Mag. People who can't tell shouldn't be shooting.

Once I checked why a friend was having trouble with his new lever gun. .45 Colts just don't go into a .44 Mag very well. ::)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts