Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
641 Posts
With the Firearms you have now I see no reason for a Marlin .44 Mag unless you just wish to have one. But for myself there are a few reasons I would never own another Marlin .44 Mag.

As someone mentioned they have a Marlin .44 Mag to go along with there Pistol in .44 Mag. It sounds good but does not work nearly as well. As if you shoot Cast then you can not expect accuracy from the rifle with the same ammo that you use in the pistol. And the ammo needed for the Rifle may not even fit in the pistol due to the bore diameters needed to fit each type of Firearm.

· Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thank guys:

Alot to ponder on. May be better to get the next rifle on the list, a 45/70.

· Registered
1,050 Posts
For me it would be soon legal (fingers crossed) to hunt with in what is currently the "shotgun only for deer" zone of southern MI. So I NEED one!
That would be a solid gold advantage.

I've hunted with slugs for close to 50 years now, and a couple seasons behind the .44M in a carbine will convince anybody they need a .44.

Actually, if you're more hunter than sniper, you might not need anything else.

· Registered
9,156 Posts
I've hunted deer with a 44 mag for 20 some years, and know some fellas that hunt Elk with em. Used to get up to 7 deer tags a year and have piled a bunch of em up with the 44. If you have not used the 44 out of a rifle, you need to. Way more effective than most would think, a hot loaded 45 Colt and 454 Casull are more of a good thing. If you have used the 44 from a rifle on game, you have an opinion on it's effectiveness. If you have not, you assume it's performance may, or may not be good. My opinion is, with the proper bullet, it's effective range is as far as a fella can hold all hits on a paper plate sized target, and would include all game animals in my home state of Montana. Moose and Bison on down. Your assumption, or opinion, may be different. DP

· Premium Member
4,981 Posts
Well, I love my 336T 44mag, I needed a rifle to use with my Ruger revolvers, if I want to shoot the same rounds out of both rifle and revolver, I just load jacketed bullets! But most of the time my revolvers are my "backups". I also load 44spls or light 44mag rounds for my wife who is very recoil sensitive and she can fire it all day long! The rifle is VERY versatile on the types of rounds you can feed through it...literally mild to wild! It is a LOT of fun to shoot :). What is there left to thing about?

· Registered
3,604 Posts
A while back, in 44, had a 1894 and a Ruger 96 (semi based on mini -14) and a little Ruger bolt 44 at the same time. As it went the scoped Ruger 96 was an unbalanced rig, smooth slippery stocks, never got carried for that reason, and recently sold on GB for an amazing amount of money. The little Ruger bolt, was a great little deer rifle, that carried well. But when I got 1894 the Ruger bolt got sold off as well. The 1894 is a wonderfull, trim woods bum carry rifle, end of story.

Like most folks mention here, it has a peep sight, and is intended for serious business in the brush. Hunted with other 1894s on and off over the years, an still use the current one from time to time. Besides being superior as a carry rifle, the shear amount of quick accurate firepower you can lever out of that gun is unbelievable. It does good work with standard 240gr flat soft points, no fancy bullet needed.

· Registered
1,050 Posts
If you have not used the 44 out of a rifle, you need to. Way more effective than most would think.
I didn't see economy pop up, but if you handload, the cost per shot is really pretty low. .44 jacketed bullets are in a price range with hunting bullets for an '06 or .308, but the variety of cast bullets with/without a GC, is huge, and usually less, swaged bullets can be loaded down for practice loads a young child can handle.

I have mostly used 210-240gr bullets on deer, but I have not recovered very many. I have only one expanded 210gr Sierra that could go in their bullet catalog, and a 240gr Nosler FP that looks like a twin. Both were longer shots, 90-100yds or so, the rest may still be flying along for all I know. That bullet weight range can hit 1900-2100fps in an 18" barrel, and that is not bad. I have also used 265gr Hornady FP's and 270gr Speer DC's. Not quite so fast, but I'm pretty sure the 265's would be fine for elk, moose, or big black bears, as they are very tough.

With the lighter bullets, the .44M is modest for recoil, and manageable by smaller shooters that dislike recoil. On game, it's in a class with the .30-30 out to 125yds, past that I have no experience. To carry, they are in a class with the larger handguns.

· Super Moderator
7,900 Posts
Marlin 1894 44Mag " A Utility Arm Supreme" nuff said!

· Premium Member
455 Posts
Marlinitis. A new gun is no cure, but it is what's called for. The 1894 is easy to carry, easy to shoot, hard hitting, deadly on deer. I highly recommend it. Great fun for all. Of course getting a 44 won't mean you will not need a 45-70.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.