Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
So what are the advantages of a Marlin 44mag. Rifle? I currently own Marlin 30/30, Marlin 35 rem, Marlin 444 and a S&W 629-6; I like the idea of loading 44 specials for both firearms.

Anyway is there any added advantage with the 44 mag rifle? Or is it the feverish throws of Marlinitis?

Reactions: mrguvna

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
Marlinitis doesn't need a reason. To emulate Hillary (Sir Edmund, not the other one) "Because it's there."

It is necessary and sufficient that there is an 1894 Marlin in .44 mag, to want one.

·
Banned
556 Posts
You either like it or not. It can do things the others will, but won't do some things the others can. I never found the 38 or 44 special excuse to be a valid when it comes down to brass tacks in selecting a pistol caliber rifle.

I like to set my sights and forget about them for a few decades.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I have the 1894 in .357 as well as a pair of revolvers. Unlike others, I rarely carry the matching ammo combo. Seems to,me that if I have a .357 handgun, a more powerful rifle is appropriate. If I have the .357 rifle, a .22 handgun seems right.

I do have both .44 Special and Magnum handguns. (I don't want to jack with the sight settings to change ammo.) No rifle at this time, but I could be had on a nice 20" Cowboy.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I have an 1894 .44 mag and love it. It's a handy little rifle and has some punch to get the job done. I kept mine with the iron sights since I am in brushy thick stuff most of the time. The groups at the range are superb... Haven't tried any .44 special yet but it's nice to have the option.
If you already have a .444 you can use the same bullets if you reload. Ditto for pistol obviously.
Mainly it's just a nice lever gun... :)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
So what are the advantages of a Marlin 44mag. Rifle? Anyway is there any added advantage with the 44 mag rifle?
There are few if any advantages relative to your other rifles.
I find that loads that shoot well in my carbine, are not much fun in my SBH, my carbine does not shoot well with ammo that is manageable in my handgun. They both shoot the same load, if that's all that counts.

That said, the .44 Magnum in a rifle is an excellent close cover rifle for shots out to 125yds, most shots. It could be used for larger game if you were careful with bullet selection and shot placement. If I were to carry a .44 Magnum in bear country, I'd rather have a rifle in hand, than a handgun in a holster.

If there are any real advantages, it would be the weight and portability compared to other rifles. Power, accuracy, range, not really. If you want one, and/or can even find one, buy it. They are fun to shoot.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Deadwood Pike, it's a .44 Mag. all the reason you need to get one. I'm guessing you are hunting in brush/timber with fairly close range shots and if so this is where the .44 Mag. really shines. The magszine tube holds 10 rounds if you want to load that many, lots of punch within 125 yards or so and won't beat you up with recoil. I really love mine. The .44 Magnum, it bucks, it roars, it kills decisively! Take care, John.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Deadwood, I have one and I use it here in the swamps of South Florida on wild hogs. I have found it to be a one shot, DRT rifle. I have only used factory ammo in it, so far and I don't plan to try to make it a 3000fps bamwam elephant gun. I use peep sights on mine and it works fine, old eyes and all. It is not a 500 meter rifle but I have made a one shot kill on a large hog at a measured 125yds. It holds 10 rounds and I can shoot my pistol ammo in it and vice versa. I plan to try it with my cast pistol loads and see how they shoot in it. I don't plan to get into the "one load for the rifle and another load for the pistol" thing because that would limit the versitility of the two firearms. It is accurate and fun to shoot and my advice to you is GET ONE, and don't look back. It will take anything in South Carolina if the shooter does his part.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Deadwood, yes, you do need a 44 Marlin.

I think a little review on Marlinitis is in order here.

1. There is no known cure for Marlinitis

2. No effective treatment has yet been discovered for it.

3. Although it's very much a disease and has all the characteristics of an addiction, 12 step programs not only do not work,but they also actually tend to make the problem worse.

4. So... best thing you can do is find a source of additional income. Work overtime, find a part time job, make the wife get a second job... Marlinitis is expensive. Imagine if you had a drinking problem and you were told the only thing you could do was to drink more. Well, all you can really do with Marlinitis is to buy more and more Marlins. Trying to fight it is really bad.

Sound like a really gloomy prognosis? Well, no, actually. Not at all. An alcoholic ends up broke, hung over, surrounded by a bunch of empty bottles and cans, and likely even loses his wife and kids in the divorce.

Now a guy stricken with Marlinitis? He may not have any cash, but he does end up surrounded by a whole bunch of really nice Marlin rifles. How can that be bad? Yes, buying all those rifles could cause the wife to demand a divorce, but hey, then you will just have more time to hunt for Marlins and to fondle and shoot the ones you already have. Be sure to tell your lawyer gelled the judge that the wife can have your house as long as you you keep the Marlins. Oh, and when you move to an apartment? Be sure it has enough room for and strong enough floors for your gun safes and deer freezer. (You'll be doing a lot of hunting, because child support is expensive, and you don't want to have to sell any Marlins to pay it. If you shoot most of your meat, you'll save a bundle on food).

Hope you enjoy the 44!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I like the idea of loading 44 specials for both
I've got Marlins from 25-20 to 45-70, but my 336-44 gets used the most. Just plain fun.

It can run with the big dogs with heavy 44 Magnum loads, or plink all day with Skeeter's 44 Special load of Keith bullets over Unique which is what it's fed 90% of the time.

It's a perfect companion to my 44 Special Rugers.

image.jpg

You wont regret picking one up.

B

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
I'd just like to have one to go with my revolver also, other than that it's probably just part of my levergun disease, ha! By the way, I recently read a new owners manual for one, and it says that shooting 44 specials can cause lead to build up in the chamber being shorter, and just to clean it out well often. That, and to not use any of that "Blazer" brand ammunition regardless, which I had not read before...
Good luck to you.

Reactions: graymustang

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
The Marlin 1894 in 44 mag is a good rifle for the "one rifle only type person"...it really is incredibly versatile and if you could only have ONE single rifle it will do most tasks and do them good, you can load it with 44 special and plink with it or use it for home defense, you can load it with 44 mag and go hunt anything with it, you can even load it with powerful hard cast and have a mini guide gun and feel pretty safe in Alaska....it's just a great do it all gun. Now...the downside to being a jack of all trades is ofc it's not the best at anything...its not the best deer rifle, not the best home defense rifle, not the best guide gun and not the best plinker....but it can do em all.
So long story short whats great about the 1894 in 44 mag?
Versatility

I had a 1894 in 44 mag but got a 1894C in 357 mag and traded the 44 for a 336 in 30-30...I feel this combo is better, the 1894C does all the plinking fun gun/home defense hunting smallish prey (up to deer in size) as good or better and cheaper than the 44 mag and the 30-30 does all the heavy hunting stuff equally good or better than the 44 mag....but again...it took TWO rifles to beat it in these categories.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I'd just like to have one to go with my revolver also, other than that it's probably just part of my levergun disease, ha! By the way, I recently read a new owners manual for one, and it says that shooting 44 specials can cause lead to build up in the chamber being shorter, and just to clean it out well often. That, and to not use any of that "Blazer" brand ammunition regardless, which I had not read before...
Good luck to you.
Just for the record I had one in 44 mag and shot TONS of 44 special in it and NEVER noticed that dirt ring they talk about or any kind of buildup of any sort.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Let's just put it this way.

The 44mag Mag HANDGUN has taken Everything & Anything that walks, hops, crawls or jumps! Now put it in a bbl 16"+ with Xtra VEL & ME, and it becomes an even Mo'Better Killer!!! Yes that says MO'BETTER! :biggrin:
I believe that the 44 mag is one of the most underrated and under appreciated calibers out there ...? Sure it may not be a 300 yd match rifle, but if "you" can shoot it accurately that far a deer dont have a chinaman's chance! :ahhhhh:
It's an Awesome 100yd +/- killing machine IMHO...

I say Getcha One and decide fer yourself!!!? :tee:

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Go for it man .1894 in 44mag. You will not regret it. I have. or let me refraze. hHad one. I gave mine to my dad for he wanted a lever gun for the wild dogs that was terrizing him at his farm. He loves it. as well as I did. Shes hard hittting up to a 100 yards heck even 150 or better. My dad lives in SC as well up in greenville area.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Enjoyanother reason too if you live in an area with heavy underbrush, the heavy rounds tend to move twigs and small branches out of the way. I was raised in heavy pine forests of southeast Georgia, my .44 did a great job. My friends .264 not so much. Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
25,169 Posts
I never really considered one until I got a Ruger SBH in 44 Mag. Then I thought--why not have a Marlin 44 Mag Texan carbine? Wondering ALWAYS causes Marlinitis.

Reactions: glockmeister
1 - 20 of 35 Posts