Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Assume everyone is trying to scam you and work your way back from there. US Postal money order or go home.
I was kind of thinking the same thing. A legitimate buyer should have some flexibility as to method of payment. I'm not saying the OP's buyer is bogus...just that it is a red flag when someone insists on a single (and somewhat atypical method of payment) right out of the starting gate.

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
OP: " Anyone know the process of receiving money thru Credit Card payment?"

Other than a merchant/ business acct. There are things like a "Square" CC acct or "Stripe" CC accts that's setup to accept CC payments (involves fees. )
I have never used it.

I would go with your gut feeling. If it doesn't feel right I would walk away from the sell before you're out of a gun and the money.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks folks, I've always only accepted MO's when selling on GB and didn't want to change that to do a deal. Who knows, the guy who wants the rifle may be legit, but I don't like rolling dice and finding out the buyer got one over on me.

·
Registered
175 Posts
US Postal Money order protects both buyer and seller. I don't accept anything else unless I have done business with the person or business before.
Not really. USPS MO basically protects the seller. If the buyer gets cheated, he can file a claim and try to get the USPS to investigate. Good luck with that one.

CC protects the buyer. They can always call the CC company if they think you cheat them. The problem is you would need a account and pay the fee. Accepting CCs also lets the buyer make a purchase without regard to his having the funds on hand.

Don't use PP for firearms. First it's against their rules. That means you would need to go PP F&F and try flying under the radar.. You're still braking PP rules, which is bad if the buyer complains.

Hopefully the OP didn't list CC as a payment option. Otherwise, it's not really his problem to solve. Now on for my real question for the OP: Is this a GB newbie who thinks he can buy a firearm on the Internet and have it shipped directly to them?

Larry

·
Registered
685 Posts
I've sold a few things on GB and used Money orders as payment. Anyone know the process of receiving money thru Credit Card payment? paypal as a gift or money order. No way in H$ll I would take a credit card with the scams going on. Heck they send checks and when u cash they come back to haunt you in the past. IF it dont feel good dont do it, Do what is "fool proof" . good luck

Thanks,
T

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't think Pay Pal does guns.
You don’t have to tell them what it’s paying for. I’ve never had PP ask me what I’m buying. Besides, it’s none of their bidness.
Venmo is just as good. I’d shy away from CC. Could pay then claim the card was stolen and stop the payment.
PP, Venmo or nothing these days. Heck, Apple iPhones allow payment via an email addy.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I've sold a few things on GB and used Money orders as payment. Anyone know the process of receiving money thru Credit Card payment?

Thanks,
T
I would not do it, not in these times, period the end. I have sold a lot of items on line, i will not take a card for anything, money order or certified check, thats it...

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Ditto on the USPS money order. The payment method should be in the listing. Even if the cc is on the up and up, there is a 3-5% cc fee to pay.

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
22 Posts
Stick to the USPS money order method of payment. Cash the MO at the PO or have them verify that the MO is legal, before you ship. Be sure to have your buyer send a copy (front & back) of his Driver License. Also, request a copy of the FFL dealer license.

·
Registered
106 Posts
As a buyer, I like when I can user a CC for its convenience. If two sellers have equal wares, I will use the CC as it is less running on my part.

HOWEVER, I go by the auction and what the seller says he will accept. When I send a USPS MO (or an FFL), I always use priority mail with tracking. That protects both of us. Just be aware that right now Priority mail can get real slow. I just had one to a seller take 12 days. The second purchase from that same seller (2 weeks later) took 1 day. If it is a pricey collectible item that a REALLY want, I will uses USPS express mail to ensure it gets there. The peace of mind is worth it to me.

With a credit card, the buyer can always do a chargeback if he does not like the item (or gets buyer's remorse) and claim it was misrepresented and not what he paid for. Now, in addition to being stuck as the seller, you also have the risk that when (if) he sends it back, he may not be as careful in packing as the seller, and may not buy insurance, so again the seller is out of luck.

If this buyer refuses to honor your terms (and the auction's terms) and will not pay in the manner you accept, give him a negative as a non-paying bidder. He agreed to your terms of the auction by bidding, and then did not honor his contract.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I've sold a few things on GB and used Money orders as payment. Anyone know the process of receiving money thru Credit Card payment?

Thanks,
T
Unless you're trying to set up a business most casual sellers don't go to the trouble and expense (3% of the transaction to the CC company) of setting up for credit cards. Your Money order process is fine. I've bought guns through Gun Broker where the seller accepted a personal check. I sent it registered mail for tracking and he held the gun until it cleared before sending me the rifle. With today's electronic transfers between banks the check cleared in about 24 hours. The post office took quite a while though getting the check to the seller though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can use Zelle, a new service offered by major banks to send and receive money. They started it up a couple of years ago to compete with PayPal.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,920 Posts
As far as PayPal is concerned it is none of their business what the money is used for. Guns are tools or art for me.

Drug dealers? They think they are in the pharmacy trade.

AC

·
Registered
14 Posts
1.) Money Order Cashier's Check requires CASH payment. Can't do that with Credit Card or check at all, banking regulations prohibit it. They have to have funds in hand before issuing a money order. USPS Money Order is same thing, Postal regulations prohibit it.

2.) As stated above PayPal does not do guns. Yeah, they're liberal owned, but it's more a legal liability thing, than an anti-gun thing. Attorneys will look for the deepest pockets in any lawsuit, name everyone that's ever had any part of a gun sale. PayPal doesn't want to defend against funding a transaction conducted on their site, for a gun used in a mass shooting. It's really that simple.

3.) Friends and Family works, don't have to list it as a gun sale, HOWEVER... There is NO Buyer/Seller protection with Friends and Family transactions. If seller doesn't ship, buyer has no recourse for recovery of funds. If Buyer's Credit Card turns out stolen, or if they stop payment on the transaction for whatever reason, and you've already shipped the gun, you have no recourse for recovery of your merchandise. If you don't know the other party well enough to trust them with however much you're talking about in a transaction, it's not advisable to go there!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Private individuals usually ask for M.O., Stores normally take Credit Cards. Usually get the Gun quicker with a Credit Card payment?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts