Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1894 in 44 Mag and it was manufactured about 1980 (in any case it`s a pre-safety model) and have been doing a fair amount of target practice lately and have discovered that it is not fond of extracting cases that fired lead bullets...jacketed are fine. The bullets will actually fall in the chamber if hand fed so it doesn`t appear to be a problem with too big somewhere to chamber. The extractor seems a little/a lot loose(have no point of comparison). Was looking on Midwest Gun Works site and for Marlin parts it states that it is for parts from post-2009 manufacture. My question is:Will the extractor and spring they exhibit work on my older model ? Thanks, John

·
Registered
13,431 Posts
I have a 1894 in 44 Mag and it was manufactured about 1980 (in any case it`s a pre-safety model) and have been doing a fair amount of target practice lately and have discovered that it is not fond of extracting cases that fired lead bullets...jacketed are fine. The bullets will actually fall in the chamber if hand fed so it doesn`t appear to be a problem with too big somewhere to chamber. The extractor seems a little/a lot loose(have no point of comparison). Was looking on Midwest Gun Works site and for Marlin parts it states that it is for parts from post-2009 manufacture. My question is:Will the extractor and spring they exhibit work on my older model ? Thanks, John
Send a message to Ranger Point Precision, a site sponsor. You'll find them below in the sponsor/business section. Adam will fix you up with the proper extractor. He'll probably need a picture of your bolt face to determine which particular extractor you need.

Good luck. It's an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
If the cases are the same and only the bullets are different, I am curious as why it might be the extractor.....
Are the cast bullets oversized or a real heavy load that is causing pressure issue?

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Doubt it is an oversize cast bullet issue!! But does sound like it on the high side for pressure, which would be a powder charge or selection issue and NOT a bullet size issue.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies...still wanting to know about the extractor/spring. To Rob...I`m thinking Ranger only sells a $58 extractor(saw their video and it looks like a real nice unit) vs 20ish for the Marlin parts. To Bill and Crusty the lead bullet in question is a Keith type that weighs 242 gr+/- with 17.0 gr 2400 sized .430 and a std primer. As mentioned they all pass any "plunk" test. The cases from the jacketed rounds(240 Nosler/23.0WW 296) seem not affected. ??

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
X2 on the RPP extractor.
I did prototype testing for this extractor.
It's what Marlin should have used instead of the 'bobbypin' version they went with.
OP, you're pushing the lead to hard.
If you have the MG rifling, don't push lead that hard.
I use my 1982 .44 mag carbine in SASS/CAS and never have any issues with lead bullets as that is all we are allowed to use.
Gary

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm thinking 17 gr. of 2400 is a kind of light load for .44 mag. My load for .44 mag is 20 gr. of 2400.
Could sizing at .430 be the problem?

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
According to the O.P. who says that hand feeding his loaded rounds into the rifles chamber happens with no problem and according to him meaning that nothing is overly large. The answer is NO as to .430 being too large.

I size to .432 and have no problems in the son's .444 or the 2 - one rifle and one handgun - .44s I cast, and loaded for. Sized for many years before switching to the .432 at .431.

.430 would not be the problem.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well guys,there didn`t seem to be any overwhelming applause for the Marlin extractor so I bit the bullet and got the Ranger Point unit. As mentioned per their video, it looked like a well built piece and it`s installed just the way it should be...I kind of fed it into the bolt using their plastic sheath until the spring was captured, and by the way the old extractor spring had almost no tension left. That`s the negative on that but on the other hand a positive for the 23.0 grain load of 296 or H110. No problem extracting those. It`s been pretty hot here in central VA the last week so looks a tad cooler the coming first of the week so I`ll get out and try my 17.0 2400 load for the test and let you know. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. Last post on this. In the last few days have fired around a 100 rounds. Probably 80 lead and 20 jacketed. No problem on the extraction/ejection thanks to Ranger Point. Tried several other lead loads but the 240 Nosler with 23.0 296 is the best for accuracy. Thanks all.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I run a load of 17.5 grains of 2400 with a cast lead 240 grain SWC in my "Remlin" M1894 .44M without any issue. That is a strange problem the OP describes!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts