Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I wanted to get some knowledgable opinions so I thought I'd ask here. I've got a small quantity of 405 grain cast (non-gas checked) bullets which I used to use in my .45-70 BFR. I can't remember why, but for some reason I resized them to .457. Now, I am wondering how they will do in my 1895 SBL. Does anybody know the groove diameter of the newer 1895's and do you think my .457 projectiles will work ok? I know that a lot of people recommend using cast bullets that are slightly larger than bore diameter, but mine are obviously a hair smaller. Are there any forseeable problems?

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
My 1895 shoots .458 sized bullets into a bushel basket at 50 yards. She needs at least 0.4595" bullets to get her accurate.

Give yours a try, but don't expect much. If they don't shoot well, you can powder coat them to add 0.002" diameter/ each coat. That may make them shoot better.

Reactions: -69.55 and rob42049

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
For a small number I would just shoot them up and move on. Probably best to not drive them too fast either. Powder coating is a good idea for bare undersized bullets but won't work if they are already lubed. Doing so will only melt the lube and make a huge smoking mess.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Fortunately I don't have too many, so I may just melt them down and recast into something else. That's the beauty of cast bullets...you can always resurrect them into something else. Is the bore exactly .458 on the 1895's?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts