Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son found a Browning BLR 7mm mag walnut and blued for sale 10 to 15 years old for $475. Worth it? I see some for 600 to 800 for sale on gunbroker but non but one with any bids on them. The only one that sold was $580 I believe. Sorry for asking here but I figure some of my 336 buddies must have a BLR. I guess I'll mix a Browning in with my Marlins if the price is right. Thanks for any input.

Jim

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
Jim,

About 23 years ago, I sold a Belgian Browing BLR in 308Win for $475.00. Mine was pretty clean, and the buyer thought it was a good deal for him.
I never missed the rifle..............I know all the attributes, rotary bolt, box mag., etc......They just never really appealed to me.....I always thought the butt stock was too big.

Is the one your son is looking at, a Belgian, or Janese?...............That would make a big difference to most buyers.

Tom

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tomray, don't know and didn't think to ask. I have a Belgium BAR in 30-06 and so I should have. I'm going to look at it tomorrow so I'll find out then. My son doesn't mind a 300 yd deer rifle and I don't mind as it's a lever so if in good shape he will probably get it. If Belgium the seller might not realize the value. So we'll see.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
If it is a 7 mag. it's made by Miroku. Sounds like a good price to me for my area. I have 2, 7mm-08 I bought new 5-6 years ago and a 358 I bought 2 years ago. Paid more for the 358 used than the new one. DP

·
Banned
610 Posts
Make sure your son has handled this gun before laying down cahs. I like the short action BLRs, but really dislike the LA guns.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Apologies for the thread drift, but what makes A Japanese model less desireable?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mogwai said:
Make sure your son has handled this gun before laying down cahs. I like the short action BLRs, but really dislike the LA guns.
Oh, I'm going to look at it tomorrow to check if Bel. and condition. And sorry but what is a LA gun?

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
jtshooter I own a Japanese BLR and I really like it. If your saying it's 10 to 15 years old so it is a Japanese made BLR. You can look in the blue book for gun value. They list for just under a thousand dollars new. I'm a small to medium frame person and I don't find the stock on my 1983 ( went bought new) BLR 358W. uncomfortable. IMO if you are going to own a 7mm mag. in a lever rifle the BLR is the way to go. Again IMO the price for this rifle if in 80 to 90% condition is a good price

Good luck.
T ;) NY

·
Registered
243 Posts
i work with a fellow that has one in 270wsm, and he loves his so much. but he also thinks that a 30-30 is under powered for deer. ??? that's is where we disagree!

·
Registered
707 Posts
I owned the exact rifle that you speak of. It was very accurate but a heavy rifle also. At that old it may be a steel frame BLR. Handle it for a while before you plunk down the green !

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
rahtreelimbs how heavy was that rifle was it any heavy than a 1895 45-70 rifle. My steel receiver short action 20" barrel weights not much more than the new Aircraft-grade alloy receiver models at 6 lbs. 8 oz. The new BLR 7mm mag weight in at 7 lbs. 12 oz the old BLR 7mm mag. might be within a 1/2 lb. more. A Marlin XLR 45-70 is 7.5 lbs. the 308XLR is 7 lbs. So if the Steel receiver BLR is 8lb. 4oz. it's not bad. If you can handle 7lb. 5oz. you can handle 12 oz. more too. Again IMO if you want a ultra light long range rifle a lever rifle is not the way to go.
But for medium range (200 yards) a 30 30 carbine. ??? I just checked the Marlin website and guess what, the 30 30W weights in at 7 lbs :-\ I thought it was 6lb. 6oz. ::) I must have been thinking of my Winny 94 30 30 carbine. Well on the bright side with the 7mm mag. you might appreciate the extra weight to absorb the recoil. If the deciding factor for me not to buy this BLR steel receiver it would be the caliber for me, the 7mm 08 short action BLR is more than I need.

T ;) NY

·
Banned
610 Posts
jtshooter said:
Oh, I'm going to look at it tomorrow to check if Bel. and condition. And sorry but what is a LA gun?
Sorry. LA = long action. 30-06, 270, etc. Short action = 308, 243, etc.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Have a Japan. 270. Used with Nikon Buckmaster 3x9 and Leupold rings and base was $450 OTD. Most accurate lever I own by far. Mags are $25 on GB. Pencil barrel. No regrets. Repairs and service are pricey. Never needed any though.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
I have two Blr's a .308win and a .358win both were bought off of gunbroker for $495 ea both are steel models rarely used and I think that is a good buy for both. I wouldn't sell mine for less than $600.

"fk"

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
BLRs are fine rifles. I own three now and have owned 3 or 4 others along the way. The price you mentioned is excellent for that rifle in very good-excellent condition. BLRs haven't been made in Belgium for many years now and only ever were for a few years at the very beginning of their run(1969-1972).

I have found them to be about on a par with bolt action rifles, accuracy-wise and also a bit lighter than a same-size bolt rifle. In this case, that BLR is a L/A with a 24" barrel.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I have two BLR's, 1 short action in 358 Win and a long action in 30-06 both manufactured in Japan. I doubt there will ever be enough long term collector value for a Belgian made one to be significantly more valuable than a Japan made one but that is speculation on my part. Both of my rifles are very good shooters but a lot of people have a hard time getting past the looks of the long action (the 7mm is a long action) but they are very good shooters. I'm not a fan of the thick poly finish on the wood but it does protect it from the elements.

$475 is probably a decent price assuming it is in good condition, that is about what I've seen them going for at gun shows. The last new one I saw in a gun shop was $800... Good luck, and I'm sure he will like the way it shoots!

Festus

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
LT said:
Apologies for the thread drift, but what makes A Japanese model less desireable?
For whatever reason, collectors have always preferred the "all Belgium" BLRs & BARs. I've handled older Belgium BLRs and see no true difference in quality. The newer BLRs (since early 90s, I think) all have aluminum alloy receivers. Perhaps it's the fact that all the Belgium rifles have a steel receiver. I'll admit to preferring the one steel BLR (Japanese) I own over the two alloy ones. But, in truth, there's not much difference. As some others have mentioned, I too prefer the S/A BLRs, however.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Long actions BLR are a completely different gun than a short action internally. No parts interchange. They look odd too. Shoot great though.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Hate to ask here but BLR value? UPDATE ON CONDITION....

well I looked at it today and the stock is maybe 80 to 90% and barrel inside was dirty so I couldn't tell if any rust or pits. Didn't look like it had been shot very much. The barrel on outside had some rust spots on it maybe 3/8 by a little less than 1/2 inch in size maybe 3 or 4 of them. And it a had a muzzel brake on it and a 3 X 9 X 30 banner scope on it that I could use on one of my Marlins. So just to get another rifle I don't know but if it's worth 7 to 800 I'd buy it.

Thanks
Jim

1 - 20 of 30 Posts