Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, as you may of guess I'm in Australia and I'm thinking about getting my first rifle. I really like the 39a, but I'm worried about build quality of the Remington built units. I would love to just buy an older one but there are like rocking horse poop over here, so new is really my only option. My question is, has the build quality picked up since 2009-2010? or has the reason i have not seen anymore bad reviews because people have just stopped buying the Remington/marlin 39a?

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Good question. I don't know the answer, but someone on the forum will be able to provide you with some feedback. All of my Marlin Rifles are JM.

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Hey pab, welcome to Marlin Owners. If you haven't already found us, there is a group of Aussies and Kiwis here called ANZMO. Look under the Community/groups tabs and ask to join. Most of our ramblings are under our sub forum under the 336 forum. 39a's do pop up on Usedguns. I have 2, one from the 1970s and one from 2009 both JM.
I can't really say whether the new ones are any good but there is great link on this forum telling you what to look for. I'll see what I can find.

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Ps Where you from?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Welcome from South Carolina.

·
Registered
416 Posts
For the money they cost I wouldn't even consider the new Remlin 39. I was in the same boat as you not long ago and ended up getting a Henry lever action... spent less money and got a better rifle. The Henry is a great rifle. If you want a 39 get a good used one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hiya guys, just a quick up date as the what I have found out about the new 39a. Talking to gunshop owners and workers, Remington is doing a much better job with the 39a, the quailty picked back up in 2012. sadlly there are none availble till next year (2015) in Australia.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
NO, be patient and look for a nice JM 39A.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi
I have a new one and it is fine. I don't like the new colour of stain but that was the only issue. It was made lately.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I saw a new one at the range a few weeks ago. I only got a brief look at it, but I DID notice is was made in the Kentucky facility. The folks that are on this Forum that live close to that plant posted DO NOT BUY a rifle made in that plant. Nuff said. Looke for a used JM model or buy a new Henry rifle.

Mike T.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts