Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 336 in 35 Remington and it groups factory Remington and Winchesters between 2 and 3 inches at 100 yards. I'm wondering if the services provided by ML McPherson will allow for groups around 1 inch at 100 yards and maybe a consistent point of impact. I really like the cartridge and the gun, but I was hoping for better accuracy and a more consistent point of impact. I'm also considering rebarreling a bolt action to 35 Remington if I don't get the Marlin to shoot like I want. Has anyone gone this route before?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm not real familiar to McPherson's work but a good accurizing job by a knowledgeable gunsmith will help .If you do your job shooting you can get surprising accuracy from these Levers ,It's not unreasonable to get 1-2 in. groups from factory rifles using good shooting discipline.Shootrj2003

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shootrj2003,

Thank you for the response. Could you recommend a good smith for lever action rifles? Also do you feel that the Marlin's need a sort of breaking in to shoot their best? My 1894 in 357 Magnum took a couple boxes of shells to settle down.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
barm,I do almost all of my own work on my rifles except when it comes to blueing and maybe heat treatment or if I wanted to have an old one refinished to original specs. All my internal mechanics ,I normally do for myself or if a friend[locally] needs a gun fixed I might do it. I would only recomend "'Wild West Guns"''' to work on levers for hunting ,there are others that are good and cost less,but,WWG are among the best.If I wanted a restoration done,Doug Turnbull would be the man.Does a gun need a break in period,Hell yeah ,you can lap the barrel and smooth things inside but the best thing is time and use and good care.I hope this helps and Good luck shootrj2003

·
Registered
688 Posts
Maybe reloading would get you 1½-2" groups. If that won't satisfy you with a 200 gr. .358" bullet perhaps you would be happy with one of the many bolt guns made for the .35 Rem. This includes the Rem Model 7. A custom shop gun you might have to look for one for a while OR convert one.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Like Hobie, the only bolt 35 Rem. I am aware of these days is the Model 7 from Remington's custom shop. Pretty pricey!

I am not a 'smith or a machinist, but it seems reasonable that an over the counter Model 7 could be rebarreled to 35 Rem. Might take some bolt face modification.

Good luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It would seem to me that 2"-3" at 100 yds is entirely adequate for a 35 with factory ammo. The 35 is kinda a lot of gun for prairie dogs and that should be good enough for deer and elk as far away as you oughta be shooting them. If it's brandy new you might try a little teensy bit of fire lapping and those triggers could always use a little help. But I second the handloading thing, best, quickest way to accurize a little. I have a 30-30 that shoots 3/4" and it was rusted shut when I got it with a few rust freckles in the bore as well. And that was before I messed with the trigger.

·
Registered
314 Posts
is McPherson still around? his website is down and i can only find a few articles by him.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
429 Posts
Last I checked his site he just had a message saying he wasn't taking anymore work and he took down his articles too unfortunately.

I just got his book Accurizing the Factory Rifle and if your interested in tinkering with your Marlin I highly recommend it! Lots of projects like bedding forearms clearance between mag tube and barrel etc etc. Lots of projects.of interest for lever gun shooters but he covers bolts and pumps as well. I got mine from brownells.

·
Registered
504 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Have a look at this Marlin lever gunsmith: Jeffrey Johansen at J&J Gunshop in Unadilla New York. I was satisfied with his custom accuracy work on my 336 in 30-30. He used to occasionally advertise/sell his custom Marlin rifles on Gunbroker.

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
shootrj2003,

Thank you for the response. Could you recommend a good smith for lever action rifles? Also do you feel that the Marlin's need a sort of breaking in to shoot their best? My 1894 in 357 Magnum took a couple boxes of shells to settle down.
Ranger Point Precision LLC
11115 Mills Rd, # 122 Cypress, TX 77429
Hours: Tues. - Fri 10am - 5pm; Sat 10 - 3pm
P: 832-429-7044

1,875 Posts
We can absolutely help you! We pride ourselves on being able to turn out some of the slickest and most accurate Marlin's out there.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

I am not a fan of McPherson, I tried some of his accuracy suggestions.......didn't work on my rifles. That is not to say that it will not work on yours, just didn't work for me.

1,875 Posts

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Find yourself a 336 SC or an A, slick up the trigger if needed and don't sweat the extra steps involved with the barrel band RC or C. The swap or sell/buy may be less painful than accurizing.

My my several end cap rifles all shoot close to the magic inch and are accurate enough as far as I would want to shoot a deer or even a coyote. Some of the barrel band guns will also do that, but some do need help. Dad had an old .30-30 RC that was super accurate with 170 CoreLokt ammo.

Good luck to whomever had the urge to resurrect this thread,

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Have a look at this Marlin lever gunsmith: Jeffrey Johansen at J&J Gunshop in Unadilla New York. I was satisfied with his custom accuracy work on my 336 in 30-30. He used to occasionally advertise/sell his custom Marlin rifles on Gunbroker.
This is the first thing that came to mind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts