Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. I'm planning some upgrades to mine and wondered which way to go. Replace the loading gate with a lighter one and add a stock sleeve/pouch and call it good or go full tactilol and add peep sights, pic rail, synthetic stock, prism scope or ACOG, etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just wondering. I'm planning some upgrades to mine and wondered which way to go. Replace the loading gate with a lighter one and add a stock sleeve/pouch and call it good or go full tactilol and add peep sights, pic rail, synthetic stock, prism scope or ACOG, etc.
There is a way to lighten your factory loading gate without replacing. I did it today. Made a big difference. Thin the spring. Pretty sure there’s a how to thread somewhere

·
Registered
936 Posts
I put a RPP feather weight loading gate on my '95cba.
As it is my house gun I felt it should be easy to load.
It unloads easier too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plinking and fun shooting for now, and possibly hunting, but that's not part of the plan right now. I'm working on a cheap plinking load and may get into casting in the next year or so for such things. It's a 1981 JM that I bought from my granddad as soon as I started working.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He would just shake his head if he knew what I might try to do with it. Thinning the loading gate spring is something I'd considered, but never heard of anyone else trying it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Personally I would not want to do much to a 30 year old rifle except let it have a grand life.

I would be looking at something like the Henry X, Marlin Dark, Mossberg SPX, or 1 of them that is already heading down the Tactical lines. Get the black look, synthetic stock, Picatinny rail, threaded barrel, and everything you could ever hope for.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,997 Posts
Square peg, meet round hole.

I take self defense seriously. I carry a polymer framed high capacity 9mm Auto, and listen to those who have been there and done that, gotten training from them, and keep an AR loaded for home defense. What I absolutely refuse to do is try to make a levergun something it is not. Money is better spent elsewhere. I wish the tactical levergun craze would die, and go away.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Grandpa, is that you?

Square peg, meet round hole.

I take self defense seriously. I carry a polymer framed high capacity 9mm Auto, and listen to those who have been there and done that, gotten training from them, and keep an AR loaded for home defense. What I absolutely refuse to do is try to make a levergun something it is not. Money is better spent elsewhere. I wish the tactical levergun craze would die, and go away.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Valid point and likely cheaper than all the modifications/additions I've been looking into.
Personally I would not want to do much to a 30 year old rifle except let it have a grand life.

I would be looking at something like the Henry X, Marlin Dark, Mossberg SPX, or 1 of them that is already heading down the Tactical lines. Get the black look, synthetic stock, Picatinny rail, threaded barrel, and everything you could ever hope for.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also, how do you like those quad lock rings? Are they ok for a 32 mm objective? I'd like to get as low as I can if I get a scope but I've only seen them in medium or higher.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts