Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past season, I shot a turkey with my Max loaded with 158gr XTP @ 2000 Fps. The turkey almost exploded! I lost half of one breast and was amazed at the damage! I was going to use this load for deer, but after the turkey shot decided it was too explosive. I'm now working on a cast bullit load, for next year.
Have any of you had any experience with deer ( whitetail ) using the 357 Max?? :shock:

·
Registered
627 Posts
I think it might be safe to say that comparing your turkey damage to deer tissue destruction is like comparing apples to oranges. Remember when Glen Campbell shot that turkey in TRUE GRIT with a SHARPS CARBINE? What did he expect? Shotguns for birds- rifles for deer.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here in Texas, the turkey season and deer season run at the same time. The turkey I shot was just a "target of opportunity" when about 12 of them came marching thru the brush! It was my first turkey ever, eventhough I've chased them for a couple of years with a call and much camo! They never really came close enough for my 12 ga. :cry:

G

·
Had a Dan Wesson in 357 MAX the 357 XTP was good . But what you want to load for it is Nosler's 357 Partition bullet. They are not cheap , last ones I bought were about $36 for 50. And that was a couple years ago :? I am sure they cost more now :(

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6pt-sika said:
Had a Dan Wesson in 357 MAX the 357 XTP was good . But what you want to load for it is Nosler's 357 Partition bullet. They are not cheap , last ones I bought were about $36 for 50. And that was a couple years ago :? I am sure they cost more now :(
That's kind of pricie ($36 FOR 50 ) , I'm working with a 180 gr cast bullet that I hope will to the trick! see my other post: http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1993

:?

G

·
reloaderman said:
6pt-sika said:
That's kind of pricie ($36 FOR 50 ) , I'm working with a 180 gr cast bullet that I hope will to the trick! see my other post: http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1993
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That price has probably gone up :( I haven't bought a box in over three years :!:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts