Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda like to have a 460 because of the versatility, looking at buying a Ruger 460 S&W and want a companion Lever for hunting. I'm going to be hunting in North Florida and want a Lever in 460 that I can shoot 45Colts in if I get lost or run out of ammo. I plan on carrying a 460 Blackhawk for Bear Medicine (Becoming a real problem in N.Florida) and want to start hunting with a 460 lever. I figure I can practice with the 45Colt and hunt deer with it hunt hogs and other game wit the 460. Anyway, just a thought now, but might get really serious soon. Not paranoid about bears, had a close call last year while in my wheelchair hunting. Think a bear attack is scary, think about being in a wheelchair when it happens. I'm part time in the chair due to a spinal cord Injury from Afghanistan mainly a pain and balance problem but sometimes I cant feel my legs.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Joker, the 460 is too long for any revolver that Ruger currently makes, S&W is the only one making one now unless BFR has one so chambered. The 454 Casull will handle any bear just fine and is available in both handguns and in the Rossi M 92 lever action carbines. I'm not sure if Big Horn Armory is making a 460 in their lever action or not, but they have the 500 S&W advertised. DP

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
If you handload, a .45 Colt will suffice. It would be difficult to imagine a bear so large that the Ruger only .45 loads wouldn't handle the situation. I know folks in Alaska that rely on a .45 Colt. If you just want a 460 to be the cool kid on the block, then it doesn't matter much what I or anyone else thinks. I seem to recall that Bighorn Armory of Cody, Wyoming make some lever guns in 460. Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ruger is working on a 460 from what one of their guys said at shot show.
Wasn't sure if the Marlin could handle it, I know they were able to handle 500 Alaskan and 45-70 (Low Pressure, I know)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Silly me, I overlooked your first post, thank you for your service. Steve

Reactions: M700

·
Premium Member
12,005 Posts
Joker, I've been working with a wheelchair bound fellow for several years. We're shooting better these days, he's really worked hard at that.

Last fall he made his first kill in a long time, shooting a nice buck from the truck. We're talking about bear hunting, I've killed several. He has some of the same reservations that you have, because a bear is not a buck. The bear can turn and come at you. It may not be likely, but it can happen, and he doesn't have the same fighting chance that a fully mobile man has. He just has to sit there and make the best of it.

He is good with his .44 mag double action revolver.

If we go bear hunting, we're sticking together. He gets first shot, and second or third or whatever it takes, unless the bear turns and comes at him. Then I'm in the fight. That's what we've worked out anyway, and I think it just might work. I wouldn't want him out there, in a ground blind, with a ticked off, wounded bear getting aggressive. He's a fighter, but that's asking a lot.

For you, as with him, I'd recommend an adequate rifle, getting real good with a backup big bore handgun (think .44 mag or .45 Colt loaded warm) and likely a good buddy who won't leave you hanging in the face of a ticked off bear.

Normally they run away. Not always. The last one I shot was wounded, and I finished it at about 10'. It was not being aggressive, we went after it, but it's a different thing going into the brush after a wounded bear than it is going after a wounded whitetail.

Regards, Guy

·
Super Moderator
24,947 Posts
Hey Joker--I would go with a Marlin in 35 Rem or 44 Mag. Easy to handle and quick to use. Either will put down a black bear with no problem if used at the proper range. Just something to think over.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

Hey Joker,

You could save yourself lots of money and grief by going with a 45 Colt. A hot loaded 300 gr. cast bullet will do anything in North America. And guns are currently available in both Ruger and Marlin that will handle the "mini 45-70" quite well. You could buy half a dozen Marlins for the cost of one custom rifle.

However, if your mind is made up, we don't want to discourage you......go for it...:ahhhhh:

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Take a look at the Rossi 454 Casull, I have a 16" stainless and a 20" blued one. The 300 gr loads are running about 1760 out of the 20" barrel, right at factory 300 gr. 45-70 speeds out of the 1895GS I sold a couple months ago and about 2 lb. lighter. Easy packing, light and powerful. DP

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Isn't/wasn't there a company in Texas that makes a look alike custom stainless lever action that appears similar to the 1895? Seems like they were called DGS or something similar. I think they offered rifles chambered for all the semi-obscure pistol cartridges like 460/480/500.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
You are thinking of DRC. From what I gathered (read: speculation) David Clay was in business with some guys and it didn't work out. I tried to get parts several times with either the wrong parts sent multipule times or no call back. I know Mr. Clay is still making levers and such, but I don't know if his gun is or ever was available. Despite the boondoggle, I think that man's levers are the best on a straight grip marlin.

·
Registered
27 Posts
While a .460 lever would be neat, It's only p[possible to fit in it a larger action.. I don't think it will fit in an 1894 platform.. A 1895 Guide gun in 45-70 will do anything it will.. So, I leave the .460 to boat anchor sized revolvers..:biggrin:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Good morning
Something different you say... Get you a rusty pitted Marlin 336 and send it to JES Reboring and ask for a 405 JES (CALIBER.41-444). Will do everything a 444 can but in a caliber .41. I have one waiting on me for our return in June
Mike in Peru

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know that it's not quite what you are looking for but Rossi did make their model 92 in .480 Ruger. I thought that it might have been more successful if Ruger had chambered it in their Super Blackhawk, even with a 5 round cylinder, it would have been a good companion gun for the Rossi.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts