Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While shooting targets for Ranch Dog's Postal Match, I came to the realization that my eyes are just not designed for open sights. I've always struggled with it, but in the last couple of years it's gotten worse. When I refer to open sights, I'm also talking about peep sights. I really hate it because I love the look and feel of a Marlin with no scope. I have scoped Marlins and love them, but I also enjoy carrying the open setups. I'm afraid that it's just not possible anymore. It's scoped Marlins from here on out.

I'm even thinking of selling or trading my '50 336A 35REM. It's not drilled and tapped and I refuse to desecrate such a fine piece by having it done. I'd like to replace it with a 336SC that's been factory D&T'd.

Anyhow, thanks for letting me vent my frustration.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
It's tough gettin old, ain't it? Awhile ago, I made the same decision but have never quite gotten entirely away from open sights. I've always kept a couple of iron sighted rifles around just to prove to myself that I wasn't quite over the hill. The type of sights can make a big difference. The best, for me, is the the pistol type sights on an older Rossi 357 that I have. It has a decent blade up front and a large square notched rear. It's much easier to aim than either the normal bead with a peep or semi-buckhorn.

And some days, iron sights aren't that bad. Chalk it up to the moon cycle or something. At the range the other day, I found it easier to shoot with those silly buckhorn sights on my 1894CCL 41 mag than the peep sight I had mounted on it. Of course, I couldn't hit with either while under the covered portion of the firing range. Moving out into the sunlight made a world of difference, practically halfing the size of my groups. I'd still have to go with a scope while hunting though. Can't depend on just my eyesight like I used to.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
When I got my Model 1936, and foud out that I would be committing a grave error if I drilled ant taped it, I told my wife I could always sell it for at least what I paid for it. She told me I couldn't sell such a pretty gun.
So I've been looking for another I can put a scope on (my eyes are old also) and think I've found a 1964 35 Rem.
Anyway, in the mean time, I've taken that 70 year old 30-30 to the range a number of times. It was a rude awakining at first but after a number of trips, I got better. I'm sure the Marlin shot the same way every time, I just had to get used to it.
So, with the Marlin fund tapped out, at least for now, I'll be shooting a 70 year old Marlin Model 1936 30-30 with open sights and a 42 year old Marlin 336 35 Rem. with open sights.
These old eyes also need help, but if a deer comes within 100 yards and I have the 1936...bang, flop.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I've struggled with this problemvfor the last few years. As recently as two months ago I decided that all my rifles would have to wear scopes, bolts AND levers. But I realize I have not made a real commitment to hone my skills with the iron sights.

I have two Rem. 700s with 4X scopes that will do anything I need done: one in '06 and one in 35 Whelen. So for now I have moved away from scopes on my Marlins. This summer I am going to make a real effort to get as good as my 60 year old eyes will allow with peep sights on the leverguns -- 35 Rem. RC and .444S.

By August I will decide if I can hunt ethically and effectively with my leverguns, or not. If not, I think I'll keep them for recreational shooting with iron sights and use the bolt guns for serious hunting.

There's just a certain feeling of "correctness" about being able to wrap my hand around the receiver of a Marlin as I head into the timber. And that feeling isn't there with a scope stacked on top.

We'll see. I'm thinking right now that I can get good enough to use the leverguns without scopes for hunting if I restrict my range to what I know I can hit consistently. I'll figure out what that range is this summer. I hope it works out.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Open sights ?

Folks , I just went back to tri-focals because of that very reason . Had some before the last pair, and got to where I couldn't see my front sight with the very last ones , handgun or rifle. It takes a little getting use to but I have the tri , set just barely below my distance glass with my head level. works very good. The last trifocals as I remember seem to work better , but then too, I've had a couple of eye injurys since . I don't get to do much hunting any longer , but I truly enjoy or local gun club and range, Do mostly plinking and target , with different guns each time. I adjust the new glasses up on my nose and can see the front sights and the target this way. looking through the tri- part only the front sight is CLEAR the target is fuzzy but there. or sighting with both of the upper lenses works also. Bi- portion helps me see my loading better........'ll be sixty nine in July , and I feel blessed I can so as well as I can. Heck , Ya'll , Just have fun ......I love every day. And am thankful....................Just my .02 cents MUTT :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WyoStillhunter said:
There's just a certain feeling of "correctness" about being able to wrap my hand around the receiver of a Marlin as I head into the timber. And that feeling isn't there with a scope stacked on top.

Ain't that the truth. There just something that feels "right" about it.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Been wearing glasses since before I was a teen. At 55 they are not getting any better.

While I still like to shoot irons, I choose not to do so when hunting game - at least so far. Steel gongs at 200, no problem. Game at 100, no thanks. The difference is that if I screw up, the gongs don't wander off and die a lingering death.

That said, my Browning B92 .44 Mag is one of my favorite shooters and it only has factory iron. All of my Marlins have Williams Firesight front beads and scopes in Warne Quick Detach rings. That might be a setup you would want to check out.

Look on the bright side - your eyes may not focus the way they used to, but they still open in the morning! There are worse things than having to use glass to see well!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Amen on "they still open in the morning," Coyote Hunter.

Mutt, I have thought about getting a pair of glasses made up for shooting. I wear bifocals to help my close vision while my distant vision is still pretty good. I have thought about getting a close vision lense ground into the upper left corner of my right lense. Then by tilting my chin down when I shoulder a rifle the right lense would give me a sharp focus on the front sight. Well, it's an idea.

Have a great day folks!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
On a recent visit to my eye doctor a guy came out with a black powder rifle. He was getting the upper left corner of his right lens ground so he could shoot open sights. :shock:
I didn't see him after that to ask how it turned out, but I guess it can be done.
Any day my eyes open in the morning is a good day. Enjoy your days to the fullest. (Is that a word? :roll: )

·
Registered
244 Posts
WyoStillhunter, That may be a good idea. I had not ever thought of that. I reckon that would take some getting used too also. I'd hoped that my new glasses would be generally better all around. But after the left eye went throuh torn reitna surgey it still dosen't see as well as I'd like. But so far the right eye seems ok. Although it's the one that got brass splinters from a bum reload several months back. So I reckon I'm very blessed to have what I do. At least now a hundred yards isn't too much . Shoot & See targets are a big help. Don't have to walk so much. Lungs don't care a lot for long walks. But you know life is great, I have more that I deserve , and a fantistic young wife who thinks I'm the only one,spoils me BAD ,I know it must be love cause I ain't got no money. Ha! . GOD is Good. :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm going to be 59 in August - you guys made me feel like a kid. I have problems with the older Marlin rear sights, but I can still see the new folding buckhorn type, so I replaced the old sight on my 1961 336 SC with a new model. I see the front sight better with the hood on, for some reason, so it's staying.

I'm thinking about scoping everything else but my Marlin 336 - it's not right for me.

Mark

PS Will be getting new glasses next month, and I'm going to tell the doctor ablut my shooting/sighting problems.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been testing my reloads at fifty yards with open sights. Can't really tell if one is better than the other. Think I'm going to mount a scope. I like the detachable mount idea.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What's this with open sights!! Hasn't anybody heard of the aperture or peep sight.

Here's the skinny.

The eye has an attribuet called "accomodatiton". By definitiion it means that the eye can change focal distances quickly. That is what is required with "open" sights. You must be able to change focus quickly, lining up the the front sight in the rear notch and then focusing the front sight on the vital zone of the target. Thus the human eye must change focus from the rear/front sight to the target. Younger eyes can do this quickly. "Old geeser eyes" cannot.

Enter the peep or aperture sight. With this combination you just have two focal points, the front sight and the target. There is no need to spend time centering the front sight in the apertuire as the eye does this automatically. Sooo, you have only two focal points, the front sight and the target.

The mistake most shooters make with apertures is getting an opening that is too small and a front sight post that is too narrow. I've just moved into "old geezer class-I turned 70 this month). The aperture opening on my Ruger Compact is an Express ghost ring sight is .190. The front post is .100 thick. The post is a click out of focus but usable. I looked at a post that was .125, and that was sharp in focus.

Don't think that you have to jump from "open sights" to a telescope. Take a hard look at the "ghost ring". You'll save about a lb in weight in the total poundage of your rifle

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Perhaps a tang sight on the Model 1936 and a peep sight on the .35...less expensive, lighter...I like it.

I have never used a tang sight. It looks like it would be in the way and vulnerable to getting cought on stuff.

I have used a receiver peep sight many years ago and I liked it then.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Midnight,

The left side of that receiver on the 1936 should be drill and tapped for a receiver sight. Otherwise, the top of the receiver is drilled and tapped for a scope. If it's the side receiver, then Williams 5D sight; if it's the top of the receiver, then Williams WGRS sight.

I agree. I don't like tangs because they modify the hold on the pistol grip when not in use.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Don't forget firesights either. I have used a green one that showed up far after I would have considered shooting.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I gotta get some pictures posted of this Model 1936. It's a first variationand is not D&T for either side or top. At least the top is not for sure. I'll have to look at the left side when I get home - in Seattle for business this week - but I dont think it's drilled there either. I think it's Fire Sights for this one.
When I get home I'll get some pics to post - then ask for some help posting them.
My next out of town will be in Appleton, Wi. and I'll be able to get that 1964 336 35Rem out of layaway...that is D&T for whatever I want to put on it. Have to build up the Marlin fund again :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Harsh reality............

Before you go to other measures with optics, etc., try the Merit adjustable iris aperture. It's a regular looking aperture that you screw into your Lyman or whatever brand of receiver or tang sight and you can dial it until everything is clear or at least more clear. They have a web site and the company is called the Merit corporation. It's a family owned business and I think they are in New York.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts