Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll tell you right up front:

I like my Marlin XL7 .............. ALOT !

But what I don't like is that confounded hard stiff magazine spring.

Has anybody figured out a way around that one?

Three 44s

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think some of the guys said it will loosen up a little if you leave it fully loaded for a few days. I think I remember reading that somewhere on here.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BruceS,

I have also read that.

But as I thought about that, it comes to mind that springs are made to hold their character for years ........... so I am dubious.

In any case, my Marlin is my tractor gun and it sits with a full magazine 24/7.

Best regards

Three 44s

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
Correct! I've got 2 and it took about 2 weeks. Don't forget they are loaded and keep away from children.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have 3 of them and they all loosened up after normal use. I guess leaving shells in the mag while hunting during deer season might have helped. I love these guns!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well if a little time is all it takes then I'll be a happy camper sooner than I thought!

My XL7 is a .25-06 and I debated on buying it as that cartridge really needs a 24" tube to shine and Marlin only put a 22" on.

But the pro fire trigger and the "nutted" barrel system spoke very loudly to me.

I have the trigger down to 2.25# and my current load is printing 4 rounds @ .610" @ 100 yds.

Besides adjusting the trigger I floated the barrel.

Three 44s

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
I had a problem with muzzle flip. Did the sock full of BB's in the butt stock trick.

·
Registered
981 Posts
hemi1011 said:
I had a problem with muzzle flip. Did the sock full of BB's in the butt stock trick.
How does weight in the stock keep the barrel from flipping? ??? I think you need to hang the sock over the barrel. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
dmsbandit said:
How does weight in the stock keep the barrel from flipping? ??? I think you need to hang the sock over the barrel. ;D
The synthetic stocks are very light in the back. Upon recoil the gun was not coming straight back, causing the muzzle to flip up. Granted, it wouldn't do it every shot but it was annoying. I've read about others having the same problem and that's how I found out about this trick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts