Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night the wifey and I went to the local Friday night auction.....great evening entertainment for old folks. Anyway, they gave away an inexpensive Remington 770 with scope and hard case chambered in 270. Low and behold if I didn't win the thing. I don't shoot 270 so I went to my buddies gun shop and traded it and a $100 bill for a brand new, never shot 10 Point Crossbow in case with triple red dot scope and lots of other goodies that I'm still trying to figure out what they are. My first crossbow! He had just taken it in on a trade and passed his good deal on to me...WOW!!!!

My good fortune didn't stop there.......I drove down to the Corsicana gun show today to continue my never ending search for a deal on a Remington 5R MilSpec in 308 and a 1895 Cowboy. Toured the whole place in no time, bought some .22 bullits and decided to hang out by the front door to see what people were bringing in. After about 20 minutes of nothing more than overpriced black guns and a bunch of non descript shotguns, I see a straight stocked lever headed my way. I gave him a hollar and low and behold it was a never loaded, never shot 1895 LTD-IV in totally mint condition. No paperwork, no box, but a perfect mint 45-70 24" octagon Douglas barrel and I'm holding it. Well, I started shaking, my knees were knocking, I think I was passing bodily fliuds. It was for sale and he wasn't going to take a penny less than $600. By the time I got the cash out of my pocket it was soaking wet. I threw the money at him and headed for the truck, burning rubber clear across the parking lot. I never looked back.....it was mine and I was out of there!

I think I have been more blessed in the last several weeks than a man deserves. There have been some health issues in the last couple of years and all my tests came back negative last Tuesday.....Life is Good!

IMG_1528.jpg IMG_1529.jpg

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You want to take a lottery ticket. Awesome find and a great story. Thanks for sharing and may the fortunes of a Marlin hunter continue to shine upon you.

Cheers

Hunter

Reactions: txbeaux

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Lucky
MAY MORE GOOD FORTUNE COME YOUR WAY SIR

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
That's totally awesome! An 1895 with a 24" barrel is the only 45/70 I would want myself. Luckily, I'm so into my .444's that I don't have to worry about it!:biggrin: Congrats on the awesome find!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I will never run across a deal like that here in Calif. Any lever action that has an octagon barrel on it runs $1600 to $1800, I know I saw 1 and that was the price on it. I told the guy he was out of his freaking mind and walked away.

Great find, just wish I could find something like that.

Doc

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Txbeaux, you should be blessed! I rememeber reading posts from you selling off some of your collection to pay for projects you were doing for the wifey to keep her happy. I'm Happy Happy Happy for you!!!

·
Premium Member
7,975 Posts
Congratulations on a steal of a deal :five:

That 45-70 is a deal for sure. Sounds like you're really good at horse trading too. I recently won a six state "1st Prize" (grand prize was a SUV) benefit soccer raffle. I have to pick up my winnings at a Chevy dealer in another week or so. I won a 46" flat screen and a Blue Ray player ... supposedly all worth around $1,000. I have been thinking what I would like to trade these for ... maybe a Marlin or two.

·
Premium Member
5,434 Posts
Wow! That was one heck of a run on good luck. Good for you!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Great find. You will have fun with it. Thanks for posting a picture. A man deserves a little good luck now and then.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
Someone's looking down on you or sure TX. Congrats. Don't be like me as I won 25.00 when I was 6 years old and bought a horse with the money and he threw me the next day and I stayed in the hospital for a week. Ha. Sounds like you got a real deal.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
That's a wonderful story, and I like the way you tell it too!
Pounced on that guy like a duck on a Junebug...I bet he won't sleep well for a month!
If I was a rifle-naming guy, I'd have to call that one 'Virginia":biggrin:

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's a wonderful story, and I like the way you tell it too!
Pounced on that guy like a duck on a Junebug...I bet he won't sleep well for a month!
If I was a rifle-naming guy, I'd have to call that one 'Virginia":biggrin:
He went off bragging to his wife that he did too get $600 for his rifle just like he said he could regardless of what she thought. I never heard her reply over the scream of burning rubber! You know RB Rider.....I have never named a gun but "Virginia" does sound good and "Virginia" it is! Thanx!

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congrats! Sounds like a good day, did you buy a lottery ticket too?
Yes I did...... Back in September, I hit four numbers for $1100. My only ever big winner. Had I gotten the bonus ball, it would have been good for about half a million bucks. The game is called "Texas Two Step". Pick four numbers out of 35 and one bonus ball out of another 35. Best odds of all the lottery games in Texas. I play 20 quick picks twice a week and with real good luck, I come close to breaking even.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Great story, thanks for sharing it with us... even though it does make me feel a bit unworthy!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts