Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IT"S DONE! my 1888 has been a search and rescue mission for about 4 years.....now it is done, the new lifter fit perfectly w/o any adjustments! good job eric and travis! the three shoot group was offhand at 25yds, factory "old" ammo...now she will be put up, and kept~ :p

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yeah,not bad for a wrenchchester look-alike..Sold mine a few years ago to that great guy in Roseberg..Always wondered if he kept it or offed it .. Would have kept it if it had been a 44-40. My worst enemy is myself, won't keep anything that I don't have ammo for..Had to get with the program when I swapped a colt 38-40 for a #3 S&W Target in 38-44.. Ended up buying 357 Max cases so I could build full length cases for it.. Let me tell you..THAT IS A REAL TARGET PISTOL..Much too good for my weaving ways..OOPS got a mile or so off topic........Oh well, us old farts get carried away at times..modoc

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I'm tickled pink for you Kaintuck! That truly is a labor of love, and your 1888 is in very good condition! It would be an asset to any Marlin collection!

·
Registered
623 Posts
You try to help somebody out and what do they do.....

WOW, is that what an '88 is supposed to look like? If I'd known yours looked that much better than mine I would have kept quiet about Eric and been shooting mine about 2 weeks earlier than I was. No, I'm glad I could help you out. But you REALLY ought to be ashamed of yourself for making such a sweet old rifle hang out with those Salvage Stinken's. If I ever get a chance I will post some pics of mine. But it ain't near as nice as that one. Congratulations, Kaintuck.

C.S.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Modoc says, "Yeah,not bad for a wrenchchester look-alike.."

Now Modoc, you do know Wrenchester didn't have anything like the 1888 until 4 years later? Wouldn't that make the 1892 Win. a "Marlin look-alike"? :D :wink:

·
Registered
623 Posts
The first place I went with mine was to the work place of one of my fellow "Cowboy" shooters to ask what he thought of it. He is a very competitive shooter and not much into the original stuff. He first said;"A '92?" I said "An '88. Marlin, that is." He'd never heard of an '88. The main reason I wanted him to look at it was to get his opinion on the pitting at the chamber. To see if he thought it was deep enough to cause any problems. One pit at the chamber is about 1/16" deep. I'm only shooting soft lead and BP in it though, so I figured it was okay, I just wanted a second opinion.

C.S.

·
Registered
394 Posts
That is, indeed, a beautiful rifle, Kaintuck! Are the sights from Ballard Rifle Co?

·
Registered
272 Posts
WULL it kicks out them fired cartridges outta the top don't it??? Kinda like the Henry,Win 66,73,76, or am I dreaming again..??Really great rifle you have there..Shore wished many times I had them ALL back..But ifin I did,I'd just hafta sell them again and I don't think I could go through the heartache again...one thing sure,my 1894 in 45 colt will be with me as long as I can take a breath..You know,the one that was bored out from 38-40..Made in 1905..Have to sell the Colt 44-40 SAA soon.Already have my two Mauser sporters on auction..more to follow..dang it..modoc

·
Registered
272 Posts
WULL it kicks out them fired cartridges outta the top don't it??? Kinda like the Henry,Win 66,73,76, or am I dreaming again..??Really great rifle you have there..Shore wished many times I had them ALL back..But ifin I did,I'd just hafta sell them again and I don't think I could go through the heartache again...one thing sure,my 1894 in 45 colt will be with me as long as I can take a breath..You know,the one that was bored out from 38-40..Made in 1905..Have to sell the Colt 44-40 SAA soon.Already have my two Mauser sporters on auction..more to follow..dang it..modoc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts