Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year marks the 100th anniversary of the .35 remington cartridge. Although the cartridge was introduced 1906, it wasn't untill 1908 that you could actually fire it when Remington offered that caliber in the Model 8 semi-auto.

My first downed whitetail deer fell victim to a 150 grain .35 Remington bullet shot from a 1970 336. The 160 pound old Texan doe ran about 25 yards before it hit the dirt. I was about 60 yards away when I saw it take it's last breath. It was one of those moments in my life that instantly changed every aspect of me as a person. On that day I began my transformation from boyhood to manhood. I was 15 years old.

26 years later I still hunt with that same rifle and bullet combo. Every deer I have harvested, with the exception of 8, have been with the 336 chambered in .35 Remington. The other 8 fell victim to a 100 grain broadhead. I have lost count over the years, however the best I can figure is about 60+ whitetails have ended up on my dinner table by way of .35 Rem.

Over the years I have survived all of the campfire harassment from the bolty gun shooters. I survived all of the " new and improved gun fads". The ultra mags and the newer short mags have never made much of an impression on me. It's just like the ole saying goes," if it ain't broke don't try and fix it". Don't get me wrong. I have a full gun safe and need to buy another for that matter, but come deer season it's just me and my Little Buddy ( 336 .35 rem).

May It survive another 100 years.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Leverpuller, good to see you on the board again. Your writing style is unmistakable, I'd know it even without your name.

For all around function the 30-06 (also 100 this year) or even the .308 are tough to beat but when you specialize in Alabama white tail, as I do, the .35 is an instrument, more than adequate, totally accomodating. It's just a fun round whether at the range or in the field.

SS

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sidespin said:
Leverpuller, good to see you on the board again.
SS
Thank you Mr. Sidespin. I have been peering in from time to time, but I have been unable to type. I had a fairly serious atv accident back on the first weekend of October. I was getting ready for my first bowhunt of the year when I rolled my Kawasaki off a 50 foot embankment. Well that is what they call it around here, but if you ask me it is a dadgum cliff! I survived the initial fall with no injuries, however I forgot about the 500 pound Kawasaki that was following me down the hill.

I was left with a badly dislocated right wrist with nerve damage, a perforated right eardrum, and a fractured nose. After 4 surgeries I have 20 percent usage of my wrist and 60 percent hearing lost in my right ear. The Good Lord has ways of letting you know it is time to slow down a little. He doesn't have to tell me twice. Besides I just don't seem to heal as good as I once did, and I have realized that I can't take pain as much as I use to. On the up side I now have the prettiest nose in western NC. So much so, I am considering Botox to go along with it. :wink: :lol:

I did give the .30-06 some thought, also. And eventhough I was traumatize by the recoil as a 130 pound 13 year old, I still believe it is one of the best all-a-round hunting caliber today.

For some unknown reason, in which I can't explain, I have always been drawn to the .308. I have never shot one but I believe if I couldn't hunt with a .35 rem, I would be shooting a .308. My late life long hunting mentor hunted whitetail with that caliber. I witnessed him make some amazing shots on a few Texas whitetails. The 7mm-08, which to my understanding is a necked down .308, has that same attraction to me.

It's great to be back "talking" again.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Happy aniversary :D

Mad

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Glad to hear you are mending. One rolled on my wife a year ago...lucky it was soft mud.
Took my first whitetail with a 30-06. It's still near the top of my list. 35 Rem is up there also.
This year I'll be toting a Model 1936 30-30.

And...havn't shouldered it today..but I did last night. :D

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Glad your back lever.. should have used a pencil and typed out a message though.. :lol:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Midnight Rider,
Wheeew, I am really glad your wife survived that one without injury. Back in 2004 I flipped my 4-wheeler backwards and it landed on me. I limped around for 6 weeks after that one. After this last incident my wife told me if it happens again and i don't break my neck she will.

My first rifle was given to me by my uncle at age 13. It was a Remington m700 .30-06. I hunted 2 seasons with that rifle and shot at a total of 6 deer with it. I missed everyone of them. One small buck gave me two shots at it. I could have sworn I heard him giggle as he trotted off after the second shot. I was scared to death of that rifle. The recoil was butal to me. And to this day, I can not tolerate a heavy recoiling rifle.

Gunjunkie,

You know, you are like one of those fancy New York hotel doorman for MarlinOwners.com. Wait! Before you go and get you gun :shock: , I mean that In a very good way. I have never seen you miss an opportunity to make a person feel welcomed. Whether it be a newcomer or some of us oldtimers. Thank you.

And as far as the pencil goes, I kept breaking the lead on the screen. :wink: Seriously, I had four pins through my wrist. Two of them were pinching nerves and one of them severed a nerve. It wouldn't take much movement to set off that wrinching "electric shock" feeling going up my arm. It reminded me of the "stingers" I got playing football in highschool. And ofcourse, I was on some medications that .....well....lets just say I could not participate in a public forum under the influence of Rx. :?

I'm still going through some tough rehabilitation. I have this physical therapist whom has a master degree in sadism. She is from East Germany! I KID YOU NOT! Multiply that visual you have in your head by 10, and you will begin to get an idea of my reality. Two weeks into it I asked for a different therapist. I'm still paying for that one! If I could, I would go to Berlin and rebuild that wall with one hand and throw her back over it.

Lord, I hope she doesn't read this!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Geesh, Leverpuller....what an experience!! Glad you're recovering and able to "talk," and hope you had a great anniversary celebration. You and the four wheelers have this "love-hate" relationship a long-time, huh?? :lol:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ruger480 said:
Geesh, Leverpuller....what an experience!! Glad you're recovering and able to "talk," and hope you had a great anniversary celebration. You and the four wheelers have this "love-hate" relationship a long-time, huh?? :lol:
My 4- wheeler and I have nothing but love for each other. The "love-hate" relationship is with me and gravity and the laws of physics. :roll:

·
Registered
594 Posts
LeverPuller,
It must be a Kawasaki thing. I flipped mine on top of myself trying to drag a buck out of a steep creek bottom last year. I managed to escape with only bumps and bruises (and injured pride :roll: ), but the buck didn't make it. He was pronounced DOA :lol: :lol: .

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Duckbill said:
LeverPuller,
It must be a Kawasaki thing. I flipped mine on top of myself trying to drag a buck out of a steep creek bottom last year. I managed to escape with only bumps and bruises (and injured pride :roll: ), but the buck didn't make it. He was pronounced DOA :lol: :lol: .
Next time I would suggest shooting the buck before you try and drag it behind a ATV! :lol: :lol: :wink:

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
Good idea!

LeverPuller, I'm glad to see someone singing the praises of my favorite cartridge, I'm still convinved that if the 35 had come out before the 30-30, the latter wouldn't even be a MEMORY by now. The fact that the 35 was totally overshadowed by the 30WCF and still survives, is a tribute to the way it deals with critters it hits. I hear lots of folks talking about paper ballistics, and I just shake my head. Deer can't read, and while I have lots of guns in my safe that will kill a deer, none are the equal of the 35, when it comes to Dead Right There. Even if the critter manages to go 100 yards, it was still DRT, it just didn't know it! And few other Deer Slammers have the mild mannerisms of the 35, an added bonus.

Good to hear from you again. I'm kinda surprised you survived the German "therapist", though, after requesting a replacement. You KNOW women don't handle rejection very well! You're lucky she didn't break you into little pieces! :shock:

Stay in touch!

Papajohn

1 - 13 of 13 Posts