Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . . finding a brand new 1894CL in 25-20!! Due to time constraints, I had to leave it in the gun shop until tomorrow. It has a Ducks Unlimited medallion inletted into the buttstock and the shop owner "thinks" he can find the box & papers to go with the rifle.

I have given up on talking my friend out of his 218 Bee CL after offering him a choice of either 45-70 or 22-250 Ruger No. 1's. This will work out even better since I'll only be parting with a Taurus 62 SS in 22 LR, along with the obligatory cash difference.

Same shop also has a Mountie 39A with a Z prefix serial. I was going to jump on it until the 25-20 was mentioned. It's used but seems fine mechanically. I saw a Marlin 93 there too, in 32 Win Spec. Maybe in a few weeks.....

·
Registered
422 Posts
Where at?

I'll go pick it up and hold it for you........

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Looks like you hit the JACKPOT!!!

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Hey, Steelbanger, I am happy for you. I have been amiss on the shooting wagon this Summer, but maybe I'll get a break and rub your nose in it. :wink: Actually, from the looks of it, I needn't bother send anything in, as it would be a total loss. I have been doing load development and busy doing other things than plinking with regular loads for the postal match. I have been impatiently awaiting a 1951 32 Spec. as well. It has a 24 in. barrel and looks in perfect condition except for the (initials carbed in the butt stock) :roll: I have wanted a 25-20 since I saw Big Medicine's target last year. He has a way of doing that to me. 8) :wink: Both you guys have helped me get a gun, and it will be hard to decide which one to take for my buck hunt this year. I always try to use a lever, but end up having to use a derned bolt cause of the distance involved. These guns should be a little easier to hit farther away. Maybe I'll get more confident. :shock:

Incidentally, I heard the old 93's had pretty small bores.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Congrats Steelbanger!

I got my 1894CL in 25-20 the first year it was released because I had basically given up on finding a 92 in 25-20 that I could afford, yet still had a decent bore. Glad I did, because they weren't around long.

One "tuning" note when you get yours: Mine had a noticeably rough trigger. A small bit of judicious stoning removed the burs and brought it to a crisp 5 pounds or so. If you really want to turn yours into a shooter, you might look into cleaning up the trigger.

I shoot mine mostly with a Williams receiver site, and for my stature it was necessary to replace the front sight with a higher one, simply to get the peep a little higher for good offhand holding. This may or may not be the case for you.

I have shot a lot of 86 grain lead GC bullets through mine, and never found a load I was really happy with. The 86 grain Remington FP's are very good with almost any load. The Speer 75 grain FP's are outstanding, whether shooting reduced loads (around 1200 fps) for small game and target, or for pushing the velocity toward the top of the scale.

I haven't popped a deer with the Speer 75 and probably won't, but the one I lung shot at 75 yards with a top-loaded Remington 86-grainer went down as fast as any I've shot with magnums. BangWhapDead! I don't really consider the 25-20 a "deer" gun with anything but perfect bullet placement, but I was still impressed with the quick kill I got. I have always been fascinated with the reputation of the 25-20 as a small game round that could also take deer if pushed into service. If one shot proves anything, the old timers knew what they were talking about.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the positive remarks.

I picked it up this evening and it's here beside me right now. Dealer couldn't find the box so I have one of those famous new, No Box guns. I never hang onto the boxes anyway so it's a small matter to me. I will call Marlin tomorrow to get an instruction manual/warranty card.

BrownBear-My first attempt at loads for this new rifle is going to be the 86 gr. Remington. It was good to hear that they group well for you with most loads.

And one final note. Same shop has a brand new, broken, 1897 Cowboy Limited 22! Guess what? It's marked SOLD - to me! Whenever it gets sent back to Marlin and returned to the dealer, it's mine. So by now you realize that I'm very lucky this week and a whole lot nuts - every week.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Steelbanger,
You might try 12.0 grains of AA2015 with that Rem 86 grain bullet and see how she shoots. I almost had a 5 shot clover leaf dead center yesterday :cry: It has been a great load for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts