Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
You know I had the same itch a while back but took a different route. And everybody is right about the prices, astronomical. I bought a S&W 629-6 5" 44 Mag in stainless instead of going .357 route. Had em before, wanted something different so got it. LGS wanted $960. OK, bought it from Grabagun.com https://grabagun.com/s-w-629-6-5-44mag-classic.html for $828 with $7.99 shipping. I bought a sweet Galco holster for the difference in price. So point i'm making is do the research, get the best deal you can.

·
Registered
13,178 Posts
M19s in 6" are some of the best deals in 19s. And many times unless at a show average guys don't know about dashes or P&Rs. I buy a lot of S&Ws and 19s are the most common of adj sight models. A nice 6" gun can be had for $550 range if you look hard. On line you see them at $750 but I would never pay that for one.

·
Registered
411 Posts
the 586 or 581 can be found at a reasonable price but it takes a while. I found a solid 586 no dash with thin blueing on it for 399 at cabelas. Didn't put it down after it was in my hands. It even still had wood grips.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ruger has a Lipsey's exclusive that I find mighty tempting, I just can't justify another .357. It's a blued 5" GP100 with half lug.

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1768.html

·
Registered
980 Posts
As others have said, prices are crazy high for the Pythons right now and have been for the past 6 years it seems. No clue how there is still a market on them with the current pricing. However, buy what your wallet and heart can afford. I wanted a Python a few years ago bad but figured I'd watch for a used 586; a Ruger GP100 came across to me for half price and what I ended up with. I love Ruger Single Actions but they're Double Actions aren't as enticing to me as Smith & Wessons. Still a great gun and by far cheaper just feels a lot different to me. The GP100's sure shoot good though and a lot cheaper than the Smith & Wesson if you keep your eyes open for used guns.

·
Premium Member
10,532 Posts
Owning two Pythons.....a 4" and 6"............I'd agree the Python prices are nutz now, but they have become collector guns as opposed to working guns.........I have only used my two at the Range, never in the woods................Why take a chance of falling on it ?

Re: 357 Mag.........As far as Deer hunting with a revolver, I'd prefer a 45 Colt.

Ruger BH's are a fine working gun, and there are others like Cimmaron or Uberti that are also up to the task...............You can't load the replica guns as hot as you can load a Ruger, but that's the beauty of moving up to the 45 Colt. you can get into either of these three for less than $700, either new or used. Any Handgun Deer hunting will be done Single Action, too...........at least for me.

The S&W 586/686 are really S&W's answer to the Colt Pyhton, and are actually a stronger design............but they don't and won't command the aura of the Python...........So what!..........you want to shoot it, not caress it.

As far as Woods guns go, I've carried Colt 1911's in 45ACP and 10MM and continue to like and trust them in a hunting situation, but I also like and have used Ruger BH's, USFA guns and a Colt New Frontier...........All in 45 Colt...........
And now I'm looking forward to carrying a new Uberti Replica this coming year.............None of these guns are as strong as the Back Hawk,but Deer are going to be taken at close range with a hand gun anyway, Deer aren't bulletproof................

I'd vote the Ruger's or any other Single action in 45 Colt Cal that you can shoot well..............NOT 357 Mag as a Deer Gun.

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Don't overlook the S&W model 28 Highway Patrolman. A working man's model 27, with completely identical internals, but with a less polished finish on them. I have a 6" right now, and I really want a 4" to go with it. These are very dependable, stout and well built revolvers, and still not yet overpriced (but getting there quickly). This shooter grade Model 28 no dash happens to be my birth year ('58 and it handles my top end .357's with ease. Shooting 38 specials with it feels more like a 22 LR.

A 686 is also on my list of "wants", but until I get mine & the wife's medical bills paid down, I'm just a dreamer. :dong: Here's the Highway Patrolman wearing his new dress whites.

·
Super Moderator
23,665 Posts
I second Kerry on the the Highway Patrolman S&W Mod 28. This handgun is highly underrated!
IMGP0089.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Plenty of used guns on the market, no need to buy a new one. I'd love to own a Python, they're beautiful guns but if I owned one I probably wouldn't shoot it much. Pythons tend to be very expensive and I'd hate to put a lot of wear on one with what they cost. I'd probably take it out and put a couple cylinder full through it about once a year. I'd probably look for a good deal on a used S&W M27 that I could shoot and not worry too much about damaging it.

Stu

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 6" S&W model 27 that's amazingly accurate with both .357 and .38 special loads. Of course its nickel plated, so a bit flashy to have out in the woods. There's talk that Colt plans on bringing the Python back into production. If they do, I'm sure it won't have all the hand-fitting and detailed parts. And it will probably cost as much/more than an original. Here in south Texas, used Pythons in decent shape run $2k-$3k. I've seen an occasional 6" model 28 running at $650-$700, but honestly - haven't seen one for sale in a couple years.
The Ruger GP100 .357 is an excellent revolver; it usually sells for around $800-$900. If you're looking for a bit heavier handgun the Ruger Redhawk .357 is a bigger gun. It sells for around the same price, or a bit more, than the GP100. Might could find a used model for sale at a bit lower price tag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree that a blued .357 is tops.
I’ve had a few 586’s both nickel and blue and by far my favorite was the 8 3/8 barrel version. But a 6” is probably best. A minty Python will set you way back and a Ruger Blackhawk although a wonderful revolver is a bit over wrought ( had em, liked em, sold em).
How about think outside the box and consider a western style SAA in .357. I’ve got an old Western brand and a 2nd gen Colt and an Uberti Cavalry style that I love shooting, all in in .357 (or .38 special). There are great Uberti and other modern reproduction SAA in .357 that are beautiful and fun to shoot. Since you’ve got a 686, try something different. The Ruger Vaquero in blue is a beauty too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yeah life, seems like something always comes up lately, that has an appetite for my savings. Lol

·
Premium Member
5,420 Posts
Guess I'll stick w/ my Security Six security6-159-23125.jpg

·
Registered
13,178 Posts
I have several 357s, all S&Ws. Right now I don't have a 28. The only ones I shoot much is the 27s. I really don't load them hot and shoot cast WC target loads. I find myself shooting k38 more than 357s. I shot "a" deer with a 357 Ruger BH with full magnum load at about 25yds. It did the job but 357 mg is what I consider the bottom of the scale for deer size animals. 357mg is perfect anti personnel caliber but most are used as 38sp. I have a few 19s and hardly ever shoot them anymore. They are excellent pistols but for me they are to much for target and to little for deer unless you limit your shots to practical distance. I know guys with scoped rigs that shoot deer at 100yds+ from rests and have no problems killing deer. But like someone said that is killing not hunting.

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Just noticed a nice stainless steel Ruger GP-100 w/ six inch barrel in the classifieds on 24hourcampfire for $500 plus shipping. It has a peep rear sight installed.

T.S.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I read a rumor today that colt might be bringing back the python in the near future. Anyone heard this? I saw it on the internet, so it must be true.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts