Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to this weekend's Eastmans Gun Show held in Perry, Georgia. It was actually a pretty good show for such a small venue. I was eager to see the guns being offered by one shop that always has a table set up because they ALWAYS have really nice, quality weapons for sale and prices that are with in reason.

I was walking along their table admiring their collection for Remington 600's and 788's which I admit I have an affinity for when I came across their selection of used JM Marlins. There amongst them was a nice slightly used 336 Texan in 30-30. It was a pre safety and post perch belly waffle top, so probably 60's or 70's model. It was a really nice used Texan. I glanced at the price tag and got a shock, $795.00!!!!!! I see rifles like this all the time in pawn shops for between $300 and $400 and would have chucked to see one priced at more than that. I looked at it all over to see what was so special about it, maybe a signed Carlos Hathcock Edition or Elmer Keith's personal 336. Nope, just a regular 336 with no adulterations, no gold, no platinum or anything to make it stand out.

I was thinking about selling a couple of my old Marlins but after seeing that I'm hanging on to every original JM Marlin I have.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
I agree that they have gone up in the last year or two, but that one was way overpriced.

...kind of like how a gun show can be.

Bill

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I have seen higher prices listed on Armslist.com. However, it seems that Gunbroker.com is still holding the line in terms of rifles actual selling prices. I have seen a number of rifles that the starting bid price was unrealistic so no one bid.

I also saw some unrealistic prices at a local gun show last month. However, the vendors that were trying to sell those guns did not really have any idea of the actual market value. Not everyone has a passion for lever guns and many people buy up guns to resell and they themselves pay too much.

The large Sportsman Show in Harrisburg PA every spring has always had high prices in order to cover the vendor expenses that display and sell their wares at that large show.

I still find some decent prices at Estate Auctions by local companies. The important issue is to have CASH when a good deal pops up. You have to be ready to pounce immediately.

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,353 Posts
I see the same grossly overpriced guns on the same tables, year after year in some cases. Hoping for some sucker, or really just don't want to sell. This weekend I saw the same tattered 550 box of .22's for sale at $71 on a guy's table.....waiting..... I think some of the dealers hear a crazy price, assume their stuff is worth it and blame the buyers. AC

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
961 Posts
They have been increasing in price for some time now. They days of the 300 dollar JM marlin my have past.

Glad I started getting my 39a's and Mounties long ago.

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
Just because someone is asking a ridiculous price for a gun ,it does not mean that the rifle ,or all others like it are now going for the asking price!
Also notice the gun was still on the table.I, in the last two years ,purchased a mint 35rem sd for almost $300 less.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Our local gun show this weekend was the same way. I saw very few Marlins, but they were high. I gave a quick look at a Waffle Top that was in poor condition, with a $750 price tag. The guy did say he could go $725 though...as I was walking away. Another guy had a Ruger p89I looked at for $550, who said he could do $525...I didn't have the heart to tell him I was just in Phoenix where I could have bought all I wanted for under $400 with box and manuals, in better condition. I did not see even one transaction during the time I was there. So, they can price as they like, but if they want to sell, they will have to come down to more realistic numbers.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Yes,I have a 1952 Texan in 35 Rem.
I have a 1948 Waffle top but it is a 336a 24" barrel cambered in 30-30. Not a a rare gun I suppose, but I never bought any of these rifles to "collect". This waffle top is a deadly accurate rifle provided I do my job.

Mike T.

Reactions: 45nut

·
Registered
97 Posts
Some years back it was the win. model 94's that were through the roof. Now they can't hardly give them away in my neck of the woods. Give the Marlins some time and they too will most likely come back down to reasonable prices as well. Probably won't happen for a few more years just like the winchesters though.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Where do you live? I haven't seen an give-away prices for Winchester Model 94 Pre-64's where I live (Central PA).

Mike T.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Lot of collectors bring some of their collections and overprice them so much that they would sell if they get the asking price. They are showmen in the form of P.T. Barnum.

The rest of their table is what they came there to sell.

"There's A Sucker Born Every Minute" David Hannum

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Swany:

I've seen some collectors items at gun shows that are there to draw flies. Priced way out of line and most of them cannot be handled by tire kickers. You are right, what they actually want to sell is on the tables, not in the racks behind them that they can keep away from people that aren't buyers.

Mike T.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Yes,I have a 1952 Texan in 35 Rem.
OLBIKER,
The 1952 Texan was the only waffle top Texan made. It was the first year for the Texan, and the last year of the waffle top.

Retail price $68.95

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Kind of like old PT Barnum he put his prettiest girl on stage in front of the girly show. She never went inside.

For around 5 years I seen a Winchester collector bring his "Whole collection to the shows" put them up for sale. I started watching them closer. He would sell one once in a while but not often, most often he would sell other stuff he brought. He was basically looking for rare Winchesters to buy for his collection he did not have up for sale.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Sometimes it is better pricing to buy from someone wandering around a gun show than someone at a table. My BIL snagged a nice, clean '71 336 in 30-30 at a gun show for $275 from a guy who was just wandering around with it. I bought it from him for my son.

·
Banned
231 Posts
All it takes is one person with more money than brains to pay that price and they will go even higher.
I call it internet hysteria! People putting a false worth on something that is basically not worth a whole lot! The sad thing is you see this all the time, people paying over $2000.00 dollars for a 1894 in 357, or a 338ME for almost $3000.00 dollars, it's so ridiculous, these people acting like spoiled children, and then people act so surprised and wonder why you see prices like this at gun shows. I actually witnessed somebody paying twelve dollars for a box of 50 22LR.............UNBELIEVABLE! I have said it before, we are our own worst enemy!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts