Registered
10,228 Posts
Why not just use the 30 30 FTX bullet ?

Reactions: 94win30wcf

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I bought a friend some of these bullets years ago and didn't know that's what they were for... it says marlin express at the bottom of the label, which you could hardly see, the print was creased where the box bends. I bought by mistake, not knowing at the time they had ones for the .30-30.

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
OP-

The FTX bullet for the 308ME (part # 30396) is designed for higher velocity,
and is constructed differently than the 30-30 FTX bullet, with is designed for
slower velocities.
Another thing, to work in a 30-30, the 30396 bullet would need to be seated
past the cannelure, (otherwise the bullet would be too long to work in the action)
and would probably result in the bullet being seated past
the ojive.
The 308ME has a COAL of 2.60" a 30-30 is 2.55" with the 160FTX
I have done some work with a 30-30 Ackley Imp using this bullet (the 30396)
and to make it work the action had to be modified by moving the carrier stop,
as well as the ejector stop back.
This is known as "lengthening the action" and I have done it on a 7-30 Ackley as well.

In a 30-30 you cannot get enough velocity (2500fps) to get reliable expansion
with this bullet in a hunting situation. But if you want to try to use them it's your call.
Target shooting it won't matter...

·
Super Moderator
14,166 Posts
Just sell those and buy the right bullets if you are going to use them for hunting. If you want to shoot paper load them and fire away. Another option is to buy a rifle in 308 and use them for that rifle.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the input.... I guess I should have just asked about reliable expansion, and would have eliminated Navajo's commentary..sorry.

But was a real hoot was Golphin giving me the option to buy a 308 ME to use these bullets !!! LOL It's a good thing I have the internet, otherwise I wouldn't know what to do.

I contacted Hornady and they said no on using the ME bullet in my 30-30... so that's why I asked. I thought how much of a difference could it make... but then I guess it does. I inquired about the 35 Rem... TSX and that the 35 is a big game cartridge. So why the 200 grainer.. for deer? They said it's just that, a deer bullet. SMH.... ????? Why design a 200 grain bullet just for deer? Why not just a 150 grain bullet..... ??

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
The 35 Rem. in leverguns have been shooting 200 gr. bullets since it’s inception. Although I agree that 150 is more than enough for deer, in the old days they liked big, slow bullets. I’m wondering if because of most 35’s rate of twist, the heavier 200’s are stabilized better than the lighter 150’s. This is just a theory, since all my 35 shooting was with 200 gr. bullets.

Reactions: papajohn

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
forgot about the slow twist rate... can't remember everything. So any 200 grainer for the 35 has a thinner jacket? It shot most of the big bears.. And way back when, bullets weren't what they are today.

Guess a Partition would be best for that.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
A slow twist rate stabilizes shorter/typically lighter bullets. Twist on the 336 35 Rem is 1/16", so anything from pistol bullets up that will run through the action.

The 358" 200 TSX is slightly longer than the 250 Hornady RN. It would probably stabilize but I have doubts it would open due to low velocity from the 35 Rem.

Overstabilization, fast twist/short bullet, is not a problem. Under stabilization, slow twist/long bullet, is a problem.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I think this will clear things up bearcat....x out rounds were zeroing.... the rounds in the nine ring are the ones that count. As far as the 200 FTX opening... it’s made for light to medium game at ranges no more than 150 yards. As far as your explanation of stabilization, the first paragraph is correct but the last two contradict the first.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I think this will clear things up bearcat....x out rounds were zeroing.... the rounds in the nine ring are the ones that count. As far as the 200 TSX opening... it’s made for light to medium game at ranges no more than 150 yards. As far as your explanation of stabilization, the first paragraph is correct but the last two contradict the first.

I don't see how it contradicted anything? A slow twist will stabilize a light/short bullet but won't a long bullet.

A fast twist with a short bullet is not a problem, you're not going to overstabilize a bullet. A slow twist with a long bullet creates understabilization so you have a problem.

The 200gr TSX is far from a light game bullet. Your picture shows the 200 FTX which is made by Hornady and is a very much different bullet than the 200 TSX made by Barnes.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I contacted Hornady and they said no on using the ME bullet in my 30-30... so that's why I asked. I thought how much of a difference could it make... but then I guess it does. I inquired about the 35 Rem... TSX and that the 35 is a big game cartridge. So why the 200 grainer.. for deer? They said it's just that, a deer bullet. SMH.... ????? Why design a 200 grain bullet just for deer? Why not just a 150 grain bullet..... ??
200 TSX is made by Barnes, 200 FTX is made by Hornady

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
sorry missed TSX... the 200 grain bullet should not be used at all in the 35 Remington.

Try better to keep up.... I'm talking about the FTX not the TSX....thanks. I'll quote what you said and see if it helps.

Generally speaking... but in this case it's more about weight.
over stabilization, fast twist/short bullet, is not a problem[/QUOTE]

sure it is...

say what?

which is it?[/QUOTE]

You want me to try better to keep up with you posting the wrong info? You're the one that posted TSX, I quoted you on that.

Over stabilization is not a problem, some light varmint bullets may come apart because of thin jackets but a bullet you would hunt medium game with will not overstabilize.

you have confused me on why you can't understand that lighter bullets are typically shorter than heavier bullets. Is a 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip shorter than a 180gr Nosler ballistic Tip? Yes it is. When you start getting into Barnes bullets or any other mono they are longer than standard cup and core bullets. A 130 Barnes TTSX in .308" is the same length as a 180gr Rem Corelockt .308", so again, it's length not weight.

A slow twist will not stabilize a long bullet. I have a 1/12" twist 243 win that will not stabilize a 100gr boattail, the bullet is too long. It will stabilize a 100gr flat base, the bullet is shorter so it allows the slower twist to handle that bullet.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
See if academy sells 308 FTX.Then tape up the box and exchange them for 30 30 FTX.Academy won’t take back loaded ammo,primers or powder.But,if they carry it,even though you don’t have a receipt,they’ll exchange it.I done it many times.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.