Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew my .25-06 Ruger Number One had accuracy potential from the way it handled Remington factory 120 grain ammo. Set about to find an accurate handload for it, suitable for varmints/predator hunting as well as deer and possibly antelope.

Used a benchrest style Arbor press, and Wilson inline dies.

Remington once-fired brass, trimmed to length, and the flash hole deburred. All rounds loaded to 3.2" OAL, using Sierra's 100 grain SPBT hunting bullet and Federal 210 match primers.

54.0 grains H4831 = mediocre 1.36" 100 yard group
55.5 grains H4831 = mediocre 1.26" 100 yard group
56.2 grains H4831 = outstanding .3" 100 yard group
56.2 grains H4831 = excellent .48" 100 yard group

The last load is the max listed in Sierra's manual. Should be producing around 3200 - 3250 fps from the 24" Ruger barrel. Haven't chronographed it yet. The rifle responded so well to that particular load, that I fired another three-round group at 300 yards and produced a 1.41" group at 300 - that's not half bad! No signs of excess pressure, and it is a pleasure to shoot. I'll be loading up a mess of these in the near future, to keep the coyotes sharp this winter, and possibly for use on deer or antelope in the future.

Yeah - I know it's too much gun/bullet for hide hunting, but what the heck...

I'd never seen a rifle respond so dramatically when the only variable was the powder charge. Ruger single shots have a reputation for being inaccurate, I will admit that mine has proven a bit picky, but certainly not inaccurate when I'm getting 1/2 MOA groups at 300 yards...

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
12,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you haven't seen or used one before, here's a benchrest style arbor press and the Wilson inline dies. These happen to be .308 dies for my match rifle, not the .25-06 dies. Rifle is an unmodified Ruger Number One varminter, with the 24" varmint contour barrel and a 4.5-14x Leupold scope. Make for a nice, handy and apparently accurate combo. I just treated myself to the rifle a month or so ago. So far, so good! Regards, Guy

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Guy, that's a nice looking rifle....and shooting one of the sweetest rounds. Love that 25-06! You know, come to think of it I dont have a single shot in the gun cabinet. :wink:

Congrats on finding the sweet spot on that load.

Perferator

·
Registered
275 Posts
m700:

Are loads 3 & 4 two groups of the same load, or two differing loads with a typo on powder charge?

·
Premium Member
12,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same load exactly, just fired two groups to check and see if the first one was just a fluke. Decided with .3" and .48" groups, that I was onto a pretty accurate hunting load. The only other group I fired with that load was at 300 yards, where the three shots measured 1.41 inches. After that I started banging the 400 and 500 yard gongs with my remaining ammo.

Went home and loaded up a whole pile of the 56.2 grain loads that had worked so well.

I hope to get out for 'yotes with the rifle soon and to provide a photo documented follow-on report. Regards, Guy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts