Marlin Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Handled my first "Remlin" today

3K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  JACKTW 
#1 ·
Handled my first "Remlin" today

I saw, and got to examine, my first "Remlin" 336 today. Based on most of the posts I have read, I expected to be overwhelmed with sadness, tinged with outrage, at the shoddy quality of assembly and finish.

Man, was I disappointed! I would say that this example was by far the nicest-looking, best-finished, smoothest-cycling new 336 I have seen in at least ten years.

I do not doubt some lemons may have gotten out; but based on this one I now have my doubts about exactly how serious and widespread the problems may be. I long ago learned that when you ask online, "What do you think about X"?, the negatives will almost always far outnumber the positives, regardless of the subject.

#2 ·
Re: Handled my first "Remlin" today

Its awesome what the Turks can do when you give them some work. Left up to the NewYork crew they
would be just as crappy as they were at first.

I used to think all Tabasco Sauce made in Louisiana and Sam Adams beer was brewed in Boston. ;D

#3 ·

pisgah,

Wish I could say the same with the ones I've inspected.
Out of the 4 336's and one 1895 G. I've handled, the fit & finish were really bad. The actions were too tight and felt like in a bind. Blueing was un-even with dis-coloring, and couple had dove-tail sight cuts were not square.
The thing that really stands out, and I mean from across the room if seen from a revolving up-right gun rack, is that butstock is WAY too wide.

It is good to hear though, that the one you've inspected is in fine shape.

#5 ·

that gives me some hope, I want a new 336 but do not want any lemon :)

Pictures, and maybe a serial number to have some kind of reference?

#6 ·

I recently picked up a new 336C. I still haven't had the time to actually shoot it. The blue is decent and the furniture is beautiful thought the buttstock is poorly fitted...a nice even 1/16 or greater gap to the receiver...almost looks like the person assembling it got impatient and drilled the tang screw hole before he was done...I had Marlin send me a replacement foregrip as the original had a slight crack up by the barrel band...the new one matches good enough but I'm thinking seriously about call them on the buttstock...figured I'd better wait till I smoke it just in case... ::)

#9 ·

Tabasco

If y'all have been to their plant at Avery Island then you must have missed the part of the tour that said the bulk
of their sauce was made in two other locations to include the growing of the peppers. They did say that
all the salt comes from Louisianna. You might have been slapping mosquitos at the time.

I think Bootsie's roux is still made down yonder ways though http://www.cajungrocer.com/bootsies-roux-p-13.html

I'll take Turks and Italians making rifles over a chinaman or New Yorker any day of the week. ;)

#10 ·

Jake said:
I'll take Turks and Italians making rifles over a chinaman or New Yorker any day of the week. ;)
Don't want to offend anyone here or start some flame war but, being Italian, i can say that some of the finest guns are made by us, especially shotguns... some rifles are not too shabby also ;)

#11 ·

If we ever win the lottery, one of the first things I'm going to do is to order an Italian made double rifle, probably a Beretta side lock for my African safari.

#12 ·

That would be nice but Here the "name" in double rifles is Sabatti. Beretta is more on extremely quality (and priced, somehow) O/U shotguns and their immortal 98FS pistol.
Then there are Perazzi for medal-winning sporting and trap O/Us, and THE maker for semiautos: Benelli.

Fun fact: 90% of them are in a very small region of Northern Italy called Gardone Val Trompia. I guess they are all relatives, somehow :D

#13 ·

FAMILY ;D ;D ;D

How about a Ruzinnie. Think I spelled that wrong :-\

#14 ·

Sorry about hi-jacking your post but this was burning in my chest. If you want to delete it please do.

I don't buy Beretta's because of the way they handled my .32 Tomcat. Gun cracked above trigger on inside and was useless from then on. Looked on net and found out the same gun had thousands of cracks and lots of warnings about buying them and Beretta not backing their gun and warranty. So I sent them a letter and asked them what I should do about the gun and never heard back from them. So I emailed customer service (Beretta) and asked them what I should do and where to send gun, never heard from them at all. I then did some research on the problem and found out they did not want a recall on the pistols and decided to ignore the problem. I can't afford to take them to court for a $350 to $400 pistol so they won. Only temporary though I will never buy any kind of a Beretta ever again and hope you guys who are thinking about buying a Beretta think real hard as if they can ignore the Tomcat .32 caliber they can also ignore something you bought and then you will be out just like I was.

"fk"

#15 ·

me said:
FAMILY ;D ;D ;D

How about a Ruzinnie. Think I spelled that wrong :-\
I think you mean Rizzini. They make fine shotguns also, as a brand is a little less under the limelight like Beretta, but sure they stand very good with quality products. Think Savage, but with the same quality of Beretta. A lot of their shotguns resembly my 682 in the design.

I'm sorry to hear about the .32 Tomcat but sometime happens. That brings us a little more on topic because, i was looking for a Marlin 336 but after hearing about the "Remlins" quality issues, I'm waiting for things to get better before ordering an purchasing one. If i get a defective gun it would be fairly an hellish mess to get it back to the American manifacturer, maybe with waits on the order of YEARS.

We're lucky to have Internet, so we can share experiences and be aware of what's worth the money.

#17 ·

Rizzini yes that be them :) I bought one still like my cheek busting Stevens 3" 12ga. single. Has the tightest pattern of any shotgun I know and I have a extra full turkey for my benelli.

#18 ·

O_Blade_O said:
That would be nice but Here the "name" in double rifles is Sabatti. Beretta is more on extremely quality (and priced, somehow) O/U shotguns and their immortal 98FS pistol.
Then there are Perazzi for medal-winning sporting and trap O/Us, and THE maker for semiautos: Benelli.

Fun fact: 90% of them are in a very small region of Northern Italy called Gardone Val Trompia. I guess they are all relatives, somehow :D
There are a number of fine double rifles that come out of Italy. Beretta was just the first name that came to my mind. Rizzinis are very special ones as well. There are a number of them that appear in the catalog section of Gun Digest each year. I don't think I ever heard of Sabatti though. When I win the lottery I'll have to check them out. ;D

#19 ·
I bought a 1 year old 1895 Margin GBL a couple of months ago. I couldn't find any issues with the fit or finish. I've shot some factory ammo and some warm reloads with 300 grain and 405 grain bullets. It cycles fine and seems to hit where I'm aiming. I really haven't done any bench shooting with it yet, but so far I'm pretty happy with it.

#22 ·
A 4 1/2 year old thread gets dug up to post this? Your first post would have been better served posting a new thread regarding your 1895GBL and posted in the 45-70GOV forum.

Thread closed.

Jack

#21 ·
I've looked over about a half-dozen 336s since the takeover by Remington. Two of them had buttstocks that were in no way fitted to the tangs, and three had canted front sights. The last one was acceptable, sorta. It was a 336 snubby.

The ones I saw today at Walmart had the new matte finish and laminated wood, which was not to my liking at all. It's fitting couldn't be observed because, as usual, there was no one in sporting goods. I wasn't there for a rifle anyhow, just passing by. They had an 1895 that looked really good in the round display thingy. It was downright sharp, but I haven't got a "want" for one of them right now. Maybe next year, maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.