Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recentlynpicked this rifle up pretty cheap. It came with a one piece weaver style base and a thumb extension on the hammer. I have a japan made 3-12x40 tasco scope i plan to put on it. I have a set of low rings, but the scope doesn't clear the hammer. Do I need medium or high rings for it to work? probably will use weaver quad lock rings. thanks, Don

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Typically older Tascos had small power rings and ocular bells that can be positioned just behind or just ahead of the hammer for clearance, you can easily remove the tip of the hammer above the factory hammer extension, done it many times, it should allow the use of medium rings, see the FAQs sticky at the link below.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Welcome to the Marlin site from west Texas. Does your rifle currently have iron sights? If so you can remove them and put them in your "parts drawer" on your reloading bench. Use "medium" rings, or if you keep the iron sights on you will need "high" rings" to allow clearance for your scope. Once the hammer spur is in place, as has been stated, it is fairly easy to clip the hammer tip off with a dremel tool and a magic marker to color the exposed metal. You will really like the 22 hornet. Good luck. Shenandoah

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome. Been a member for a while, just don't post a lot. I actually ended up with 2 handi rifles,the hornet and a 44 magnum.Got an excellent deal on them. Both rifles, the 44 magnum had a 2x7 jap made Charles Daly scope already mounted and a nice leather sling on it, a half a box of shells for the hornet, all for $250.00. I think I did pretty good.
I did pick up a set of weaver quad lock medium rings, but the scope still was in the way of the hammer. I will have to try it again to see if dremeling the hammer will let it clear. I probably won't have time to mess with it till next week onmmy day off. Thanks for the help and replies. Don

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also thanks for the link quickdtoo, never been to that site before. Seems to be lots of good info there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.