Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have broke the cam on my last old lee hand primer and since parts are not to be found

What is the New best Option

Thanks

Sid

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I have been using my LHP for years with no issues and it will be sad if it ever breaks.... I hear that the new Ergo prime is pretty nice... I may have to get 2 just in case.

Doc

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I have an RCBS that's 25 years old and going strong. I bet it's the last one you will buy. Lee is ok but I have broken too much lee stuff too mess with them any more.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which RCBS as there are 3 models Midway have available

·
Registered
348 Posts
Utah-----ask your self ---how long have I used this Lee primer----what did I pay for it----and did I have any problems outta it ????? Mine are bout 13--14 yrs old now still going down the road!!!

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I have the RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool (90201). Works great, but I haven't had it decades yet.

Reactions: utahtrapper

·
Registered
769 Posts
Good post. I have the Lee. I don't like it. The plastic cover is starting to bend up where the primers go into the press and it's a PIA to not let hem flip over or fall out. My old hands get cramped using it too. I have been using the primer on my press lately. Takes a bit longer but less work. I will look at the RCBS.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
I actually make a post very similar to this just about two months ago... I wound up with the RCBS Universal after researching all the available primers. I also ordered a replacement Lee XR (the replacement to the original Lee hand prime) handle. No, it's not a direct replacement to the old Lee, but you can either ream the ram cam hole out, or grind or shape the taper out of the ram's cam surface... and it should fit and work fairly well. I have the full Lee hand primer shell holder set, so I thought I would see if I can get it to work again... the XR handle is only $2.

I've not used the RCBS press yet, but from the little I fiddled with it, it seems like it should work very well, with the advantage of not having to use shellholders.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have a couple cams if you want to revive your old lee, If you want to make it last longer Natchez has Stainless Steel cams, or used to, they will never break. I have the new lee(not the ergo) and it is easier to crush primers, sometimes they miss-align. I was looking at the lyman the other day and I like the looks of it, any one have a report?

Pm me your address and I'll get a cam out to you.

James

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Good post. I have the Lee. I don't like it. The plastic cover is starting to bend up where the primers go into the press and it's a PIA to not let hem flip over or fall out. My old hands get cramped using it too. I have been using the primer on my press lately. Takes a bit longer but less work. I will look at the RCBS.
Me, too....I gave up on the Lee Hand Primer years ago. I still have it, but never use it.

On my turret press, I use the primer tool that came with the press.

On my single stage press, I use the RCBS Ram Prime. It works great.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I've been using the new Lee Ergo for about a year now. Yes I've had some issues with the plastic cover on occasion, but it's not a deal breaker. It gives you a good uniform prime, and you have immediate tactile feedback if something is not right.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Like you I started with the LEE the quality of which showed with the cost then upgraded to the RCBS universal which cost more but will last a whole lot longer

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just checked Natchez and could not find it maybe just me I will keep looking.
Thank you for the offer I sent a PM

[

QUOTE=picketpin;1738738]I have a couple cams if you want to revive your old lee, If you want to make it last longer Natchez has Stainless Steel cams, or used to, they will never break. I have the new lee(not the ergo) and it is easier to crush primers, sometimes they miss-align. I was looking at the lyman the other day and I like the looks of it, any one have a report?

Pm me your address and I'll get a cam out to you.

James[/QUOTE]

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
The Lee tools have a fit issue inside if corrected will last for years.

You can also JB Weld a brace on the handle.

One thing more a little lube on the moving parts does wonders.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
One thing more a little lube on the moving parts does wonders.
That's what I did with mt Lee primer, per the instructions. The only beef I have is, as previously mentioned, the lid may pop up and allow primers to flip over. You have to make sure it is on tight and check it occasionally. I may resort to taping it in place after filling.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts