Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I found a spur on Midway that said it was for BLR's "through the present". I bought it and received it today and it is marked on the package that it is for BLRs up through 2003 and not for the folding hammer BLRs. I put it on there for giggles and it fits the hammer like a charm. I anchored it in a dip in the hammer and the action cycles without a problem with no contact with the bolt.

What is the reason that they don't want you to use these on the folding hammer guns? Added torque on the two piece hammer? I can't see myself tipping the hammer forward and using it for its design benefit while hunting....never had the option on my other lever guns over the years and likely won't now. Hell, if it's torque on the hammer, with the amount I shoot, I'll just replace the hammer in 25 years.... Anybody have any thoughts or insight??

The spur is a Grovtec GTHM-285 all steel.....

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
I remember reading Browning saying to not use spurs on the folding hammers, but always just assumed a spur would somehow interfere with the hammer going forward to be fully in that extra "safe" mode? That, or perhaps too easily caught/knocked on something to take it out of the extra safe etc.? Maybe it's just a CYA lawyer thing "just in case" so to say? Anyway, I didn't even know you could buy one that fit, interesting....

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
:hmmmm: Beats me

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I use one on my BLR with a two piece hammer, no problems to date. I could not find one to fit mine a few years ago so I bought one for the older BLR and filed it until it fit. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Maybe 250 rounds. No wiggles yet. I try to grab the extension as close to the hammer as possible, so as not to put too much torque on the hammer. Mostly a hunting rig, but I do grab it occasionally for plinking.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Update....200+ rounds, no wobbles on the hammer, no issues that I can tell by using the spur. Had a great trip to NY with it and got its first 3 kills under its belt.....

View attachment 126305
Good news on that spur. Nice Buck... and rifle too.. :biggrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.