1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this '71 336. It came with a hammer spur just like these:
Firearm Gun Trigger Air gun Gun accessory
The top spur.

The problem is that the spur is attached too far forward on the hammer. When I cycle the lever, the bolt initially hits the hammer body, but then engages the spur and rides up on that and then finishes its rearward travel back on the hammer body. When it engages the spur, the smooth action is interrupted by a sudden click/stop and it feels "rough.

When I look down the hole in the round extension, there is NO SET SCREW. Do I turn it counter clockwise and unscrew this. I want to move the spur more rearward so the bolt only engages the hammer. Thoughts? Oh yeah, I look down the hole with 4X magnifying glasses

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
If it is epoxied in place a careful application of heat will soften the bond and allow removal. Soldering iron, clothes iron, very careful use of a torch. You only need 250 degrees or so. Much less than what would affect the steels temper.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
I have heard it said that a hammer etension would in some cases contibute to light strikes on the primer. I don't care for them on my Marlins but they are helpful using a scope.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
There are two different sizes of the Uncle Mike's Marlin extension. Pre 82 and 83 and later. The bolt should not contact he spur. The set screw is very tiny, taking 1/16 Allen wrench. Try your smallest sizes and see if one will fit. If the screw is missing you will be able to see daylight out the hole in the knurled cylinder.

If the screw is missing, doubt you will find a replacement. PM me. I may have an extra post 83 model that that I can send you.

You say your 336 is '71? The furniture is later than that. Has the wood been replaced? What is the serial number on the tang?

Also, the 4 extensions in the picture are 4 different models. Do you have those or was that a stock photo?

Reactions: Blackbarry

·
Registered
390 Posts
Double check for a set screw, as mentioned they are very small. They almost always are right handed threads so go counter clock wise to loosen. There was a few models that the knurled knob turns, ( the spur is like a C clamp) but cant tell from your pics if that’s what you have. Try placing a tight fitting wrench or adjustable wrench with taped jaws on the spur . This will help keep the spur from marring the hammer when trying to loosen the set screw or knob. Then gently work the knob first counter then clock wise ever so lightly to see which way it loosens. As already mentioned above, might need some heat to break any epoxy or lock tite that might have been used.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are two different sizes of the Uncle Mike's Marlin extension. Pre 82 and 83 and later. The bolt should not contact he spur. The set screw is very tiny, taking 1/16 Allen wrench. Try your smallest sizes and see if one will fit. If the screw is missing you will be able to see daylight out the hole in the knurled cylinder.

If the screw is missing, doubt you will find a replacement. PM me. I may have an extra post 83 model that that I can send you.

You say your 336 is '71? The furniture is later than that. Has the wood been replaced? What is the serial number on the tang?

Also, the 4 extensions in the picture are 4 different models. Do you have those or was that a stock photo?
Ha ha! The furniture is a picture from a gun ad for the hammer spurs. Not mine. Those were both stock photos. But you are absolutely right about it being a very small set screw. Today I went to a close, but not so great range to try out my 1894 CS 357. I get to talking to this young buck and he tells me what you said. I got home and got out the small allen wrenches. Bingo!!!! To help me out, I had squirted some Kroil in the spur hole 4-5 hours earlier....:biggrin: How great is this site???!!! I tell ya.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.