Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '58 336A 35 rem and I bought an uncle mikes extension the other day for the pre'83 336. When I got home and tried to install it, the opening is not tall enough and it will not fit over my existing hammer. Is there another part number that will work or what do I have to do to get an extension that will fit my gun. I think I have heard of others having a similar problem on here but I do not remember exactly what they did to fix it.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I'll take that oddball rifle off your hands,...hey!! what are friends for!! ;D ;D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used swiss needle files to modify an Uncle Mike's 2452-0 to fit my 1957 336SC. It now fits well, works just fine.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have a vintage marlin hammer spur marked 'JM' I would be interested in getting rid of. It is currently on my 69 336 35 rem. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
extremesolo said:
I have a '58 336A 35 rem and I bought an uncle mikes extension the other day for the pre'83 336. When I got home and tried to install it, the opening is not tall enough and it will not fit over my existing hammer. Is there another part number that will work or what do I have to do to get an extension that will fit my gun. I think I have heard of others having a similar problem on here but I do not remember exactly what they did to fix it.
You have the older hammer like I had on my SC and none of the hammer extensions will work. What I did was buy a used hammer from Gunbroker and switched it. Then the older hammer spurs worked.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Halwg said:
You have the older hammer like I had on my SC and none of the hammer extensions will work. What I did was buy a used hammer from Gunbroker and switched it. Then the older hammer spurs worked.

Yep......like Hal side.......check ebay as well.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just posted this elsewhere, but thought someone here might like to know:

Interesting you should ask. I have F (1949) and H (1951) pre-fixes, and I have two "Williams Auxiliary Hammer Extension", as they're labled on the instruction sheet. They were not on the Willams website when I looked, but I found one on eBay. Quote:

AHE-W for Winchester 95,94,64,55,etc
AHE-IJ for Iver Johnson, Stevens and other singles (.335x205)
AHE-HRT for Harrington and Richardson Topper
AHE-M39 for 39 and 336 Marlin. Also for Savage 24, Due to the fact that Savage 24's have had three or four different designs of hammer widths, we have used the 39 Hammer Extension for the various models. Some of these hammers have to be dressed down in width.

I tried Uncle Mikes, and it wouldn't work on those older rifles. I found one marked "JM" at a gunshow loose on a guys table, it didn't fit the older Ballard rifled guns, but fit on a 1980's era 1894 Marlin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts