Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have been thinking about picking up a 45/70 20-22 inch barrel for hunting. Was at the gun store yesterday and they had a used 45/70 with I believe a 22 or 24 inch barrel and it was half round, half octagon. It was in pretty nice shape, not brand new but maybe 95% or better. Asking price was $750 range, forget the exact amount. Whats the deal with the half-octagon rifles? Any insight, are they just for looks or any advantage? Value? I was also checking a couple new 45/70 marlins they had, one 18in guide with 4 shot tube and a 20 or 22in. These were new and stickered at $635. Is there any sense in going with the used for $100 more?

Still on the fence with the 45/70 vs .444 vs .338MX but I'm sure when the time comes the right gun will pop up.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm 90% sure straight grip. Kicking myself for not taking a couple cell phone photos now . . . whats the difference if its pistol vs straight? any idea if thats a good price?

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
The diff is simple :biggrin:

What you found is a Marlin 1895 LTD I... yes it's a good deal IMO
and a pistol grip would be the 1895 LTD V

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, thanks! So is it correct the 336 rifles are all 30-30, the 1895 is either 45/70 or 450 marlin, and the XLR series has the .308 and .338 mx? I think I'm starting to get the idea haha

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
The 1895’s are all 45-70, unless they have an “M” suffix.
Ex.-
1895XLR = 45-70
1895MXLR = 450 Marlin… both have 24” bbl

1895 = 45-70
1895MR = 450 Marlin… both have 22”bbl

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
If you are looking for a 45-70, especially a JM, go down there and buy it. That rifle is worth the money if it is in good condition.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha neptune you are a bad influence . . . I'm really thinking about it. The only thing is the reason for me buying this is so I don't beat the heck out of my beloved 8mm mauser deer rifle. I wanted to get a no nonsense hunting rifle to take out on trips that I won't be broken hearted if it gets a few scratches. I'd almost feel bad beating the brush with a limited edition valuable rifle but I guess heck that's what they're made for , right?

-
The only hesitation I have about buying the half-octagon for $750 is I can get a nice used "plane jane" marlin for much less that'll do the job just as well, heck I could buy a brand new one for $100 less than that one used. But . . . I do enjoy guns with a little character that are just different from everything else out there. Hmmm . . . decisions hahaha

·
Premium Member
13,617 Posts
Haha neptune you are a bad influence . . . I'm really thinking about it. The only thing is the reason for me buying this is so I don't beat the heck out of my beloved 8mm mauser deer rifle. I wanted to get a no nonsense hunting rifle to take out on trips that I won't be broken hearted if it gets a few scratches. I'd almost feel bad beating the brush with a limited edition valuable rifle but I guess heck that's what they're made for , right?

-
The only hesitation I have about buying the half-octagon for $750 is I can get a nice used "plane jane" marlin for much less that'll do the job just as well, heck I could buy a brand new one for $100 less than that one used. But . . . I do enjoy guns with a little character that are just different from everything else out there. Hmmm . . . decisions hahaha
Don't do it!

Unless the "used" Marlin is in really bad shape they will always be a better value than a new Remlin priced cheaper. Remember, they stopped manufacturing true Marlins a ways back. Everything coming out of Remlin is suspect at best and a functional tragedy at worse case.

1895gunner

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are the new marlins really that bad? I may be opening a can of worms with this one . . .

How can I tell if a "new" marlin is one made before this remington stuff went down?

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Sounds to me like you ran across one of the Limiteds. More than likely the first run of these guns. On the left side of the receiver the serial number will start out LTD, followed by a Roman numeral and the the serial number. Good luck in what ever you do. Oh ya, it's worth 750.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts