Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out Haddock Fishing today with my son and a friend of mine on the North Atlantic Ocean. We left the dock on my 25 foot Parker Sport Cabin at 05:00 this morning, the water was like a mirror and we could hear the sounds coming from an active shipyard on a nearby waterway. The sun wasn’t due to come up for another 34 minutes but it was putting on quite the display with the planet Venus shining brightly in the early twilight sky with a very low tide in the fore ground. This image is what greeted us as we arrived at the dock.

425901D5-98D0-4F73-ACA0-9086C7E4DF1F.jpeg

We loaded up the boat with our gear and shoved off, made our way carefully down the river towards the ocean. As we approached the jetty’s at the harbor entrance the show got better.

9381176D-D6F8-4674-B894-6AE0BEE8520D.jpeg

The boat and crew cleared the harbor entrance to the open ocean, we opened up the throttle and pointed the boat towards our destination 32 miles off the coast of New Hampshire to Jeffrey’s ledge, an area of rocky structure that rises up off the ocean floor that spans three states, Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts.

At about 12 miles out the sun poked itself above the horizon, luckily we were heading South East and it wasn’t blinding us on the ride to the ledge and the seas were running less than 2 feet, almost a following sea.

EDD7D68D-49D4-48EC-9FC8-A688D0D0A9F5.jpeg

About an hour later we arrived at our destination, a rocky hill named Outer Pigeon Hill. We set up for a drift and were on the Haddock within minutes. We use a rig with two hooks and a 10oz. weight baited with strips of Herring.

The Captain (me) brought the first fish onboard which was a nice Atlantic Cod. Unfortunately they are protected and the only time you can keep one is a window during September so back to the depths he went. We fish around 230 - 270 feet.

5AC9AFB3-83AB-42B1-B681-A3B10F43CE79.jpeg

Between the 3 of us we managed to board 26 keeper Haddock and left the grounds by 11:30. The seas built up a little since our arrival so it was time to head back to port. This is my son with one of the Haddock. They are a delicious lite tasting white fish

8DF20F5B-7529-4A28-9F27-B49147C597B8.jpeg

My son, his girlfriend and a friend of my wife joined us for a nice Haddock dinner tonight, it was served with a side dish of Cajun Corn Maque Choux, the recipe for the corn was provided by one of our Marlin Members Cajun56, it was a great compliment to the fresh fish. Thanks @cajun56!

A picture of some of the catch in the fish box.

B6537FA2-67B4-4FA5-B55D-6B1870193717.jpeg

Thanks for taking time to read this and joining us on the trip!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I love eating haddock, but I've never seen what the darn things look like. Not a lot of haddock fishing in the middle of the continent. Great pictures by the way. Reminds me of being on Lake Michigan for salmon and big browns.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Whole different experience. About the deepest lake locally is 130 feet or so. You get to have a boat ride to get to your spots that's farther than i have to drive to find a lake. Fish run bigger. Would be quite an experience:)a

DEP

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Thanks for the post and pics. I would so be into a trip like that. Haddock is one of my favourites to eat. I even have a brief haddock story that may interest.

When in my teens I would often frequesnt the London fish and chip shops. The most common fish on offer was cod. Everyone asked for cod and if you diddnt specify, say ask for the lunchtime special you got cod. When I spent some time in the north of England I went to a chip shop and asked for cod. They looked at me as if mad, cod? We dont have cod, only haddock. Turned out it was the reverse, with haddock bein common and popular, not cod. We eat a lot of fish here, maybe bein an island.

·
Super Moderator
11,690 Posts
Looks like fun! That cod reminds me of all the times I have caught American red snapper out of season and let it go, knowing the fight through 200' of water often kills the fish anyway. Oh well, sharks have to eat too.

·
Registered
29,129 Posts
I was 70 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico from Grand Island! fishing the rigs! No pictures due to a hard drive failure! That's when I had a 22.5 foot custom built 3/16 thick aluminum hull. Center console with a OceanRunner 225.

ca'jun56

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Hey Kendawg - because of your great pics and narration, I DID join you on your trip. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for looking guys and for your comments.

I’ve had pukers onboard before. I just fish the “chum” line. One guy I asked him how his lobster dinner was the night before. He asked me how I knew he had lobster, he hadn’t mentioned it. I told him he should chew his food better. Lol.

@tranteruk My grandparents were on a budget and would buy Cod for their weekly fish dinner, they would only spring for Haddock when the grandkids came over.

@cajun56 70 miles is a long haul, that boat must have moved with a 225 hanging off the back.

@Judson Anytime and thanks for stopping by.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm up here in southern Maine on the ocean. We are blessed to have such fantastic fish in the gulf of Maine. I eat haddock at least 2 or 3 time's a week! Halibut taste great to. I guess cod is endangered these day. I miss the Maine shrimp, small but tasty. They closed the season due to low number's. And of course we have fresh lobster.
Just incase you all want to know, you can get a baker's dozen of fresh lobster for $65.00.

·
Registered
29,129 Posts
@Kendawg
I miss that boat big time! When somebody throws money at you to buy it, bye boat! As of now the boat just sits under a carport! Hasn't moved in years! Should I go offer money to get it back??? Lol!

Reactions: turbobug

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@cajun56 Never hurts to throw an offer out there! All they can say is no.

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I'm up here in southern Maine on the ocean. We are blessed to have such fantastic fish in the gulf of Maine. I eat haddock at least 2 or 3 time's a week! Halibut taste great to. I guess cod is endangered these day. I miss the Maine shrimp, small but tasty. They closed the season due to low number's. And of course we have fresh lobster.
Just incase you all want to know, you can get a baker's dozen of fresh lobster for $65.00.
You could maybe get 3 lobsters of any size for that in the local grocery store or markets. It frozen not fresh. Long ways from any lobster supply.

DEP

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
Congrats on a great fishing trip! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Kendawg
1 - 18 of 18 Posts