Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my friends camp yesterday. Brought a bunch of guns for my son (9) and I to shoot. Two years ago I was given a box of Hornady LeverRevolution ammo for my 35 Rem. I tried shooting them yesterday. First I shot a few Remington 200 gr. soft points which I've been using very successfully for the last 20 years. They shot fine, as always. Then I loaded 4 of the LeverRevolution. When I racked the action to chamber the first round, it felt tight and didn't lock up as smoothly as it did with the Remington ammo I use. I was able to fire that round. Then I racked the action again to fire the second round and the action wouldn't lock up. The lever wouldn't touch the little pin/nob on the bottom of the pistol grip action area, which is required to allow the gun to fire. I racked the action again to remove that round and to chamber the next round. The same thing happened. I emptied the magazine and load two different rounds out of the box. Same thing happened.

My friend had a half box of LeverRevolution ammo for his 35 Rem. in his camp. He gave me a few rounds to fire. They fired fine. Unfortunately, he didn't have his rifle so he couldn't try to fire the LeverRevolutions I had. Then we looked closely at the rounds from both boxes of LeverRevolutions and my Remington rounds. The shoulder on the LeverRevolution I had was slightly longer then both his LeverRevolution and my Remington rounds, it was noticeable by eye.

Honestly, I would have never bought LeverRevolutions. I use my rifle for still hunting and hunting in deep thick brush/woods were my shoots will most likely be under 75 yards for deer (hopefully boar and black bear soon). I figured I'd shoot them because I had them. I was wondering if anyone else had trouble with LeverRevolutions?

Thanks, NYH!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Never had issues like that, but I do think there were issues with the leverevolution ammo when they were first introduced but later worked out. Maybe you just had some from the beggining that were bad.

·
Registered
409 Posts
hello new York Hunter,

here is what I posted on 18 Feb this winter.

Two weeks ago, I spent the PM on a rifle range near the Ottawa River and fired at 100 yards, benchrested and standing with a Marlin 336RC .35 Rem.

I even mixed the ammo between the Leverevolution and Remington 200 grains rounds just to see if I would notice a difference in recoil and point of impact.

When I fired six rounds (3 Levers and 3 Remingtons, placed this way in the mag: L-R-L-R-L-R ) I noticed a slightly harder recoil and slightly different report with the Levers.

When I fired them one round at a time and then switched to another gun, I could not tell what kind of round I had fired until I extracted the casing.

Both types of rounds were hiting the target at 3 inches high at 100 with the scope and with the iron sights (see through mount).

The 200 yard range had not been used for a while and there was 30 inches of snow all over so I did not use the gun at that range.

First impression of the Levers: very clean shooting ammo; not one glitch or hesitation with the action; very tight group for a shooter who has not been on a rifle or pistol range since mid December.

I had been concerned about the impact of cold weather on those red rubber thingies on the Levers. I was out in -10 F temperature. Not arctic weather but just as cold as any fall deer season is ever likely to be.
I have full confidence in those Levers now.

Sincerely, JDP
Team 35 # 88 - Team 30-30 # 82 - Team 39 # 31

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
NYH,

I've fired them in my 1895STBL 45/70, 35REM, 32 Special and 30-30. No problem with the cycling and groups were good, at least for me, from a sitting position and with open sights mostly (my 32 is scoped). I was shooting mostly 50 yds with some 100 yd targets set up too. The groups were good, but I only compared other ammo in the 30-30. The groups on that were about half the size they were with a box of Winchester ammo I had to compare with.

On a side note, just went to the range Thursday with the 45/70 and cronograped about six rounds with the crony set up about 10 ft out. The average was 1871 for the six rounds. The were the 325 gr rounds and I have yet to go back and look at what I should be expecting.

The photo is an 8" target and if memory serves me this was with the 35Rem, open sights, at 50 yds from cross-legged off the porch.

SgtDog

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
Please post your lot numbers. I have a lifetime supply of 35 Leversolutions but I won't buy hornady again after so
many problems with the 30-30 versions. Any shooters that haven't had problems with it, good for y'all, I don't want to debate it.

Again, please post the lot#

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
I've only put a handful of LE's through any of my Marlins, and I don't recall any problems with .30-30's or .35 Remingtons. But, at the ranges I'm ever likely to hunt here in Florida, I don't figure to ever need the ballistic advantage of them. I'll stick with my handloads using regular bullets.

I did buy a box of the .45-70 LE's just to see how they will do in my Marlins whenever I get to the range again.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jake said:
Please post your lot numbers. I have a lifetime supply of 35 Leversolutions but I won't buy hornady again after so
many problems with the 30-30 versions. Any shooters that haven't had problems with it, good for y'all, I don't want to debate it.

Again, please post the lot#
I gave them to my friend who has the 35 Rem. After having the problem, I knew I wasn't going to try to use the rest of them. I'm not knocking Hornady. However, the 200 gr. Remington soft points work so I'm going to stick with them. I was just curious if anyone else had similar issues with them.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
New York Hunter said:
I went to my friends camp yesterday. Brought a bunch of guns for my son (9) and I to shoot. Two years ago I was given a box of Hornady LeverRevolution ammo for my 35 Rem. I tried shooting them yesterday. First I shot a few Remington 200 gr. soft points which I've been using very successfully for the last 20 years. They shot fine, as always. Then I loaded 4 of the LeverRevolution. When I racked the action to chamber the first round, it felt tight and didn't lock up as smoothly as it did with the Remington ammo I use. I was able to fire that round. Then I racked the action again to fire the second round and the action wouldn't lock up. The lever wouldn't touch the little pin/nob on the bottom of the pistol grip action area, which is required to allow the gun to fire. I racked the action again to remove that round and to chamber the next round. The same thing happened. I emptied the magazine and load two different rounds out of the box. Same thing happened.

My friend had a half box of LeverRevolution ammo for his 35 Rem. in his camp. He gave me a few rounds to fire. They fired fine. Unfortunately, he didn't have his rifle so he couldn't try to fire the LeverRevolutions I had. Then we looked closely at the rounds from both boxes of LeverRevolutions and my Remington rounds. The shoulder on the LeverRevolution I had was slightly longer then both his LeverRevolution and my Remington rounds, it was noticeable by eye.

Honestly, I would have never bought LeverRevolutions. I use my rifle for still hunting and hunting in deep thick brush/woods were my shoots will most likely be under 75 yards for deer (hopefully boar and black bear soon). I figured I'd shoot them because I had them. I was wondering if anyone else had trouble with LeverRevolutions?

Thanks, NYH!
I never had any problems with LE'sin my .35. However, I hunt in similiar conditions as you and don't feel the need for LE's. Core-Lokts get the job done :)

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
NYH, when i got my 308mx couple of years ago i too tried leverevolution ammo & had problems with feeding & hard extraction. even had 1 case to rupture. contacted hornady & explained to them my concern as after finding the ruptured case i was reluctant to shoot anymore lever ammo. Hornady had me ship them (shipping paid by Hornady). they tested the ammo, siad they could not find a real problem, but sent me fresh, new replacment lever ammo, which i have shot with "NO" problems whatso ever. yes i do think they had some bad batches of ammo couple of years ago but has addressed the problem. i now shoot 30-30 & 308mx leverevolution & all is fine. try a new box of recent manfacture & see what happens.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oleroy, nah, I'm all set with the Remington ammo. If I'm going to be hunting where my shots will be over 75-100 yards or if I'm going to be sitting I use my Winchester model 88 308 Win. with a 3-9x40mm Redfield Scope. It's good from 20 to 200 plus yards and is just about as accurate as my bolt actions. There's really no reason to use ammo in my Marlin to gain range when I use it for short range thick brush/deep woods hunting. I only had the LeverRevolution's because my boss gave them to me as a gift. I'm only good with open/ghost ring/peep sights out to 100 or so. My Marlin is the only rifle I have with open sights, it has XS Sight System Ghost Ring Sights, which are awesome. I just wanted to see if the problem I had was common, they are two years old. I've heard of guys with 444 Mar. and 45-70 Gov. that had similar trouble. Haven't heard much about the 35 Rem.

Thanks, NYH.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I went to the range today with my new to me 1964 336 RC and I had the same problem that you had.I only had the leverevolution to shoot so I couldn't compare it to compare it to anything else but I loaded up the magazine tube and would cycle the lever. Some rounds would cycle and shoot fine and others the lever wouldn't close all the way. I had a couple of rounds that didn't even go off. Looked like a soft primer strike. I'm gonna get some of the remingtons and see what happens.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
skmarsh77, let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Lost my whole reply & too mad to repeat it. Here's the Reader's Digest Version:

NY Hunter-I'm a woods hunter too, use what works eh?

Re: Hornadys "gummytips"

1968 336 35 Rem loves 'em, shot a Whitetail w/them last Dec.
Early 1895G Guide Gun 45-70 hates 'em, won't feed, even after a gunsmith worked on it.
Early 2000's era 1895MR 450 loves 'em, shot 1 bear w/'em.

I'm not a reloader so if storebought ammo don't work, I move on 'til I find one that does. After all, in the woods 100 yds is a long shot eh? Not exactly like the Magnum Boys shoot'in at 900 yds (!?).

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
My 35 didnt like the Hornandy ammo either. I wasnt having the problem you have. My problem was the ammo would jam up wen I tried to load it up. Switch to the Federal 35 ammo and havent had a problem since. Also stated to reload my own. I only use the Hornandy I have left for range time.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
finally made it to the range today with some remington cor-lokt soft point ammo. Everyone shot great. No problems at all. Man this gun is great and groups really nicely. Shot it indoors at 25 yards for the first 10 rounds and outside at 50 yards for the next 10 rounds. I was having so much fun just shooting it that I didn't sight it in. She looks to be about 2 inches low and 1 inch left at 50 yards. From now on I buying the remingtons. Not only did they all cycle fine but man are they a pleasure to shoot. Anyone want some 35 rem leverevolution ammo? I think I have at least 30 rounds left.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had some trouble with the Remington ammo Tuesday when I used the rifle. A few times while chambering a round, the next round in the magazine would come into the receiver under the carrier. I don't know if I need a new carrier or what.

·
Registered
11 Posts
NYH1...my 336 CS doesn't like LR ammo....tried some Winchester Power Max Bond, 150 gr...(was sighting in new Bushnell Trophy).
After playing with scope, at 100yds....second to last group .9375", last group .756"...(only 3 shot groups but my main objective was to setup the scope).....now looking to find some new 140 gr to see what the rifle can do......Oh by the way, I believe the Wild West Trigger had a lot to do with improved accuracy.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jordankaden said:
how much do you want for the gummies.... ??
I gave them to my friend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts