Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We had a shooting session Saturday. Lasted for about 2.5 hours and many $$$$$$$$. The "Oldies" of the crowd kinda took a back seat and less times at the target lanes and let the younger generation have at it. That's not to say we didn't burn our share but I had more fun watching, replacing targets and going to the house for more ammo ( o.k. maybe that wasn't so much fun ).

Makes it a great time to make memories, do some teaching, learning and just being with each other doing something everyone enjoys.

Wouldn't take for moments like this:

Not but 30' but for him it might as well have been 500 yds.

I'm just as big as everyone else. Let me at that Big Boy... Benjiman NP XL .22 cal Air Rifle. In the back you see the kids reload for each other.

On another little note. Little guy here got chastized for shooting without his glasses and hearing protection. Told him there are no exceptions to going without.

Intensity

Just after this picture was taken we got instruction on how to cock the Air Rifle without holding on to the scope. The one with the Ruger 10/22 is my marksman. She is wants to go to college on a shooting scholarship.

What this picture says is - Bolt Action
YES !! Semi Auto NO. It is amazing how much ammo you can go through with 50 round mag in the Ruger.

Everyone loves to shoot the Marlin XT Youth .22. It's a really accurate and fun gun to shoot.

It was a good time for all. All it cost was half a tin of pellets and almost 2 bricks of Federal Bulk ammo.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Looks like a great day at the range. My thanks to you and to any others who are passing shooting skills on to the younger generation.

Reactions: etexoldguy

·
Registered
682 Posts
That's awesome, way to pass down shooting to the kids! My Dad didn't shoot or hunt but my stepdad loved to shoot so he taught us 4 siblings. I'm making sure shooting skills and hunting skills are passed down to my two boys and when they give me grandkids I'll be teaching them too!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well I have 4 daughters and all pretty much go to the range with me. 3 grandkids and I will be starting them this summer at least two of them the grandson is only 6 months old. They will be getting my marlin 880SQ the grandson will be getting the golden 39a. Have to pass the shooting skills on to someone.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I have 4 daughters and all pretty much go to the range with me. 3 grandkids and I will be starting them this summer at least two of them the grandson is only 6 months old. They will be getting my marlin 880SQ the grandson will be getting the golden 39a. Have to pass the shooting skills on to someone.
Up until about 2 years ago I had 7 females. Wife, 2 daughters and 4 grand daughters. Was blessed a couple of years ago with a 4 year old grandson by way of a second marriage of one daughter. So with the son in laws thrown in we can have 11 at the range. Of course when we are out there we always have drop ins of passers by. A lot of family and friends pass the house everyday in vehicles.

The family shoots for the fun and so do I but I have a second personal selfish agenda and ulterior motive.

I want them to be knowledgeable about firearms. To respect them and not fear them. To understand they are tools to an end. I want to them to have at least a superficial knowledge of calibers and the power of the guns. Know the difference between semi auto, bolt action, revolver, single shot and on. They are learning how to load, chamber and handle a loaded weapon. ( They have been taught from day one to consider every gun loaded ... period ). The need to know the basics of safely checking a weapon to see if it is loaded. I have told them repeadedly the gun that will kill them or some one else is the one they THOUGHT was unloaded. They are learning the fundamentals of handling guns around others. They need to handle pistols, rifles and shotguns and know how they work. To me this is just a basic knowledge and skills they need.

This summer while they are all visiting for summer "grandparent weeks" we are starting them on cleaning the guns. They are looking forward to it.

With this exposure and the little bit of training they are receiving hopefully they can become ambassadors out in the real world to dispel the rampant myths and paranoia about those terrible awful guns that kill people and have no place in this world.

It is also just one more skill that might help them sometime in their life ... And this could all be the rationalizations of a southern ******* 'cause shootin's fun.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Brings back memories thanks. You are making a lot of them for all involved.

My children were lucky enough to start with bb guns and graduate to .22s when they were 8. Then I would let them shoot at novelty matches with my .222 Remington bench rifles. The grins when the would make their first hits at 200 yd chicken eggs was good but when the hit their first 1/4 stick of dynamite you could not believe.

·
Super Moderator
8,036 Posts
awesome did the same thing this past weekend just with bigger guns, plus do not have that much 22lr...........enjoyed the photos!! nothing better than getting the kids interested in good family fun.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Love it! Great pictures too! Happy shootin!

·
Premium Member
16,809 Posts
Hey R,

Great family outing!

Fun for the whole family.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Looks like the teen girl needs to lean a bit into the gun. I'm not sure why women lean back like that.
I taught my wife to lean into the gun and "Own it" she shoots better than I do many times.
Shooting posture is important.
Great pics! sounds like a fun day for all.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like the teen girl needs to lean a bit into the gun. I'm not sure why women lean back like that.
I taught my wife to lean into the gun and "Own it" she shoots better than I do many times.
Shooting posture is important.
Great pics! sounds like a fun day for all.
Yes she does. That has been a problem with all the ladies just as you say. What is funny is they have the same problem with a lighter pistol.

I suppose it is easier for them to balance a long gun leaning back but for a pistol I really don't understand why they have to be reminded so often to lean into the shot and not away from it. As you say they have better accuracy when leaning in.

Guess it is just one of those things ...

That's a fancy
word for standin' right ain't it ? I looked it up ...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Yep you've gotta stand right if you want to hit stuff.
I think with my wife at least I never let her get sloppy and people are
amzed at not only how well she shoots but considering that she is 4'10" and 83 lbs.
She has shot everything up to a 500 magnum pistol and in rifles up to a 416 Ruger.
The 416 ruger is the same ballistically as a .416 rigby.
She shoots a lot of 12ga as well.
Here is a video of her shooting a 454 Casull.

The guy in the video is the head range officer of our club.

Reactions: Pat/Rick

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Great time, great story, and great job grandpa! Thanks for sharing! John

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Goldthwaite, TX
Great time, great story, and great job grandpa! Thanks for sharing! John
Travel through your area 3 or 4 times a year on the way down to visit a daughter and her family south and east of Waco. Lived in Brownwood during college years. Always enjoy the trip through that country for a couple of reasons.

1) Pretty country

2) :elefant: :eating: ...Underwoods on the way down and Underwoods on the way back a couple of days later.....
... :eating::elefant:

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Boy oh boy! Good stuff! My 'kid' is thirty now and we have just a few memories, of shooting and hunting together, now it's the grandkids turn (for shooting anyway), and it's just as much fun 20-25 years later! Best shooting money spent is done introducing new folks to the game.

Reactions: Catherine
1 - 16 of 16 Posts