Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen Mod. 336 in 30-30 with barrel length up to 26", but I have never seen barrels over 20" in 35 Remington.
Had Marlin ever made them? I would like to buy one, but would like a longer than 20" barrel.

Same question for 375Win. :roll: I would MUCH prefer older Marlin to Winchester, but if Marlin has never produced it and Winchester did, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance.
Lee

·
Banned
71 Posts
I have a 336A 35 rem made in 1951. H prefix serial number. I have heard they introduced the 35 Rem in 1953 but it does have the H prefix. Mark

·
Banned
71 Posts
I have a 336A 35 rem made in 1951. H prefix serial number. I have heard they introduced the 35 Rem in 1953 but it does have the H prefix. 24" barrel. Mark

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
The .35 remington was introduced in 1950 in the Marlin 336. I had a 336 with G prefix, (1950) in .35 Rem. with 24" barrel and half mag. Many of the early 336 in .35 rem were 24" barrels. My 50's era catalogs show this caliber as a standard with either 24" rifle, or 20" carbine barrels.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'd love to have a 336A with a 24" barrel. Most folks that have them talk of some excellent velocities and accuracy. I like the looks of them, too.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I sure love mine, a '52 336A in .35. :D

The best looking lever guns in the world are the 24" barreled, short magazine, pistol gripped 336A's, Winchester 64's and 71's. And the Browning repro of the 71!

I really like the button magged, pistol gripped Winchesters model 53 and 65 too. Browning made a nice repro of the 53 some years ago.

I'm thinking seriously of taking the Browning BLR Lightning, put the BLR 81 forearm on it (or vice versa, a BLR 81 and add the pistol grip of the Lightning) and add a 24" barrel in .358. A modern Winchester 71 .348.

Heck that configuration Browning in any of the short action calibers would be lots of fun! :lol:

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Check my photo album--- phot of a 336A 1951 vintage-- 99+% that my Dad bought new and left me when he passed. 24" barrel, 35 Remington Cal.-- has only been fired about 200 rounds. Mostly by me. Still have a box of Sears 35 Remington 150 grainers he bought to shoot in it. There are 16 in the box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have just spent 20 min looking for this thread, I knew it was somewhere on a board!
I know this is an old thread but...
Two hours ago I was up at the local gun shop drooling at the oldies for sale. The owner says: "You missed it by 3 days, an old Marlin with a Long Barrel. Sold it for $250, it was PRISTINE!"
He said the owner got what he wanted and that he got what he wanted!
Mentioned it was a 336 with a 24" barrel. (Probably) Don't remember the caliber...

The stuff IS out there......

There is a gun auction coming up in August (Newport/Derby, VT)...Soon as I know when, I'll post the link!
In ALL honesty, I don't have enough experience to evaluate anything for you to be bidding YOUR money on!
I would however, check for special markings if guided what to look for and could give a GENERAL description of overall condition!

Previewing ALLOWS a lot of "Touchy/Feely" of the guns!! (We ARE a 'strange' bunch!)

Last year's auction had a lot of levers and in my eye (The Marlins) went CHEAP!!!

Regards, Jack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts