Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This will mean little to most but was a BIG DEAL to me.

Over the last 3 1/2 years I have ordered custom exotic wood dowels 2 or 3 times from a company online - Dowelsondemand.com. The owner has this business in Canada. He makes dowels to order from a list of woods he posts on his site. I have searched and searched for some place else that provides what he does but it does not exist that I can find. He makes perfect diameter size dowels. If you cut a 3/8" hole his dowels fit perfect and snug every time and the same for every size I have ever gotten from him.

In my stock repair projects the need for these dowels is a constant thing. I need them for several different project uses.

All that for this. My supply has been low for quite a while. In the last 8 months I have tried and tried to make contact with him through his website messenger and his email. The efforts had produced no results. I would read on different forums every once in a while about another person trying to get in contact with him to make an order but with the same result.

About 3 weeks ago I made one last DESPERATE attempt at contact knowing full well I was wasting my time. One day after my message to him he answered - and said he could fill an order. Got it sent to him. He came back and told me he could no longer fill orders like the one I had sent with dowel lengths shorter than 16" because of the way his tooling was it was too much waste to do it otherwise. Sent him back a revised order.

Then time stopped again and no reply back confirming the order or the changes. I thought I was right back where I started - no joy ...

I came in from the shop today to take a break, get a soft drink and a snack. Went to the den, sat in my chair and grabbed the laptop. Hadn't had in my lap 2 minutes and DING - DING - DING ... 3 email notices. One email - notification of package label made for a shipment from dowelsondemand. 2nd email notification of payment due ... 3rd email was tracking information for the delivery of my dowels.

GREAT DAY ... this information eliminates a lot of worry and a lot of stress. It will be another GREAT DAY in 9 days ... My Birthday - it won't be a
GREAT DAY because it is my Birthday it will be a GREAT DAY because my present will be the package of dowels arriving that day.

I have 3 projects I know that I am going to be able to proceed with now because of this order. Funny how some little things in life seem so important ... LOL

I emailed the owner of dowelsondemand and told him he would be getting another order within the week. Going to make an order about 4 times the size of the one I am getting. That should keep me in stock for a WHIIIIIIIIIIIILE ...

·
Premium Member
13,363 Posts
:congrats::congrats::congrats:Now we get to see some more projects! That's a win/win. :dancing2:

Reactions: marlin54

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
you are correct sir, it is all about the little things....................than make us truly happy.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
In a pinch I have made walnut and maple dowels by drilling through a steel plate and counter sinking it to get a sharper edge. I then cut the squares and planed off the sides a bit and hammer them through the dowel plate, Probably much easier to buy them.

DEP

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In a pinch I have made walnut and maple dowels by drilling through a steel plate and counter sinking it to get a sharper edge. I then cut the squares and planed off the sides a bit and hammer them through the dowel plate, Probably much easier to buy them.

DEP

I have been debating for several years on whether or not to by some wood plug cutters and going that route ...

2 things keep holding me back ... well 3 really ...

1) From the research I have done I just don't know if the plugs will be as precise a size as I need. My tolerance requirements are very small.

2) Just finding some of the exotic woods to make the plugs from is also a problem.

3) $$$$$$ - taint a cheap buy in to get a set of cutters like I would want.

Well, could be 4 reasons ... does lazy count ?

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I have been debating for several years on whether or not to by some wood plug cutters and going that route ...

2 things keep holding me back ... well 3 really ...
1) From the research I have done I just don't know if the plugs will be as precise a size as I need. My tolerance requirements are very small.

2) Just finding some of the exotic woods to make the plugs from is also a problem.

3) $$$$$$ - taint a cheap buy in to get a set of cutters like I would want.

Well, could be 4 reasons ... does lazy count ?

Yep it counts! It is my primary reason for not getting a lot of things done! Just ask my wife, she will verify it! ;D

CJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts