Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some H322 powder and some 410g RNFP bullets I would like to use together in my 45-70 GBL.
I have found published data for this powder with lighter weight jacketed bullets.
Where might I find data for heavier cast bullets and this powder, or should I just use it with jacketed pills?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I Load 54gr of H322 behind my 350gr Tombstone boolits and 47gr behind the 430gr so Im sure you can start at 47 and go up from there but look for what groups best not what is the fastest. Cast booltis dont need to be shot at whiz-bang magnum levels to be affective.

These loads are with Starline cases and Winchester LRP

I have a light load of 43gr behind my 405PB boolit but didnt have the Chrono that day so I have no idea what the fps is.

Doc

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

The following taken from Hodgdon's online manual.

Bullet Weight 400 GR. SPR JFP
Manufacturer Hodgdon
Powder H322
Bullet Diameter .458"
C.O.L. 2.540"

Starting Load
Grains 50.0
Velocity (ft/s) 1,767
Pressure 23,700 CUP

Maximum Load
Grains 55.0C
Velocity (ft/s) 1,984
Pressure 39,200 CUP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.
To begin with a mild load I started with 3 rounds each at 44, 45, and 46 grains of H322 behind my 410g RNFP bullets in new Starline brass.
I am using iron sights (Skinner) and no chronograph - not the ideal way to work up loads but there it is.
I noticed more recoil than the similarly charged rounds I made with IMR4895, but the powder measures easily and seems to burn pretty cleanly.
Groups at 50 yards were between 1 and 3 inches. I'll try some more of the same rounds at 100 yards next week if I can.
The journey continues...

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Personally, I don''t care to get the snot kicked out of my old shoulder. I like H322 a lot, but use lower quantities than others do. Here's a picture of a target with 10 shots using Doc's 430 gr WNFP bullet. Check the consistancy and the velocities. Definately fast enough to drop anything I'd ever want to shoot at.

Text Font Diagram Parallel

Reactions: CPL Lou

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Wow Chris, thats a hell of a group!!! I really need to get me one of those sleds.... I am having a lot of of problems with my arms now and its getting harder to hold my rifle let alone hold it steady. But I do enjoy shooting so I will have to get one, how is your on recoil?

Doc

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Can shoot that load all day long with the sled, Doc. I get my best groups without weight, but weight can be added until the recoil is like a .22 long rifle round.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personally, I don''t care to get the snot kicked out of my old shoulder. I like H322 a lot, but use lower quantities than others do. Here's a picture of a target with 10 shots using Doc's 430 gr WNFP bullet. Check the consistancy and the velocities. Definately fast enough to drop anything I'd ever want to shoot at.
/QUOTE]

Chris,
How much powder was in that load?
Middkid

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Click on the picture and then click again and you'll see all the data.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts

View attachment 105878
Excellent! :congrats:

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Middkid

Welcome to the forum.
My only suggestion is when you are looking at .45-70 reloading data be REAL sure you are using trapdoor or Marlin data & NOT the heavier bolt action/single shot data.
There are usually 3 pressure levels of reloading data for the .45-70 now & to get the highest level into a lever action might wreck it.
Good shooting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.