Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya gents,
Figured this is the place for my question.....I have a chance to purchase an H&R Ultra Automatic. Beautiful rifle in 243. I really like it However, with the little digging I have done, it seems that its just simply divided in opinion. Ask 10 people, you get 5 that say its great, 5 that say stay away. To be frank, I am hot in the market for a 243, and this one is gorgeous. However, I don't need a single shot semi auto, if you get what I mean. That seems to be the biggest complaint. Has anyone here had one, know about them, what the problems were, the fixes, anything would be most appreciated. I want a 243 bad enough that I may have to sell my 64 336......dilemma......thanks in advance....

·
Super Moderator
5,143 Posts
There is a great but on Gun Broker right now for 495.
Buy it and don't look back.
Those were some quality arms.

·
Super Moderator
5,143 Posts
Lots of farmed high quality parts were purchased to build those...merely assembled by H&R.

·
Registered
13,176 Posts
I never owned the H&R Ultra Auto. A Gunshop going out of business in 70s had some H&Rs maked way down. I looked at it and it seemed very well made and had beatiful wood. It was a 308. I've never shot one but did take one apart to clean for a customer. It was a 308 too. He had a 3x9 Leuopld on it and shot Rem factory ammo. He claimed it was much better rifle than his m100 Winchester. I do have experience with m100 Wins. They were dependable accurate rifles. The H&R is well made and finished so that's all I can go by.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Hiya gents,
Figured this is the place for my question.....I have a chance to purchase an H&R Ultra Automatic. Beautiful rifle in 243. I really like it However, with the little digging I have done, it seems that its just simply divided in opinion. Ask 10 people, you get 5 that say its great, 5 that say stay away. To be frank, I am hot in the market for a 243, and this one is gorgeous. However, I don't need a single shot semi auto, if you get what I mean. That seems to be the biggest complaint. Has anyone here had one, know about them, what the problems were, the fixes, anything would be most appreciated. I want a 243 bad enough that I may have to sell my 64 336......dilemma......thanks in advance....
The only H & R auto that I have is a 1953 M1.:burnout:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts