Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Do you mean their barrels or some after market breechplug?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aftermarket breech plug! Also, apparently some guys have cut off the base of a hi-brass shell and primed it. Then they loaded the gun as a muzzleloader. I'm not in any way endorsing the practice...just wondering if anyone has tried it. Seems iffy to me, but there's guys on youtube that roll with it.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
H&R Huntsman originally came out with a threaded breech plug. Came with a special wrench.
As a cost cutting move they replaced them with an O-Ring sealed breechplug. The actions were made so the breech would open enough to get them capped, they need to be disassembled to remove the plug. It was easy to break or modify so they opened like the shotguns. Some discharged when closing. One of these plugs caught the shooter in the forehead killing him. It was written up as a warning in MUZZLE BLASTS MAG (official NMLRA magizine) in the 1970's/80's.
I have seen the video where the guy "converts" his gun to muzzle loader by cutting off the shell and thought it was hilarious. Just get a Lee shot shell loader and roll some black powder shells.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Aftermarket breech plug! Also, apparently some guys have cut off the base of a hi-brass shell and primed it. Then they loaded the gun as a muzzleloader. I'm not in any way endorsing the practice...just wondering if anyone has tried it. Seems iffy to me, but there's guys on youtube that roll with it.
Haven’t been on the for about as long as this post been old. I have from Short Lane Arms their “209 to muzzleloader adapter” in .410, 20ga and 12ga. They replace what would be a breech plug in standard muzzleloader. They have O rings to hold them in chamber. Just insert in chamber close action and load from the muzzle, several videos on YouTube showing the complete process. Sorry to say I haven’t had a chance to pattern them so far

1 - 5 of 5 Posts