Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a H&R SS1 in 22LR. I just got a scope on it and was shooting it at 50 yards tonight and could not get a decent group. No wind. It was shooting a 2 to 3" group and very ramdomly. I loosened the forearm. I tightened the forearm. I checked everything and everything seemed OK.

Any opinions and ideas are welcome. ??? ???

John

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
See the Handi Basics 101 sticky at the GBO link in my signature line below, but it may just want differernt ammo. ;)

Tim

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
22 rimfires are funny creatures with a mind of their own when it comes to likes and dislikes in what they want to eat. First get several brands and types of ammo and set yourself up with a good solid rest. Odds are you will easily discover what the gun likes to shoot. Hardly any of my guns like the super hyper rounds but all shoot subsonic loads with good results. In between those two there are some that shoot great and some that don't. No need to go to another forum to get the answer you asked on this forum......

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I should have mentioned that I have shot several types of ammo in it. The results are all the same. None shoot any better than the other. Which is a first for me.

I have shot several different 22"s in my life This one is weird.

John

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Howdy John, I know some of my rifles like sub-sonic loads and shorts. I'm sure you cleaned the devil out of it to start with, checked mounts and rings. I've read that they like to have the front bag against the trigger guard and not out on the barrel. Keep us updated. .DT

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
.DIRTY-.THIRTY said:
I've read that they like to have the front bag against the trigger guard and not out on the barrel. Keep us updated. .DT
That's one of the tips in the Handi Basics 101 that will help get it shooting good, there are several simple things there that will help that most people wouldn't think about. ;)

Tim

·
Registered
746 Posts
So did you shoot this rifle at all before you put the scope on it? You're not very clear on that.
If you did and it shot well, scope mounts or scope are the problem. I experienced that once with my 22.
I think my 22 rifles actually shoot a little better with a fouled barrel. Not horribly foul, but I never clean the barrel with solvents until I've been out three or four times. I run a brush and forget it.
As long as you're sure that you're not expecting too much from your rifle, you'll find the answer.
Good Hunting.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Bill M said:
As long as you're sure that you're not expecting too much from your rifle, you'll find the answer.

I expect every rifle and handgun I buy to shoot holes in holes . . . doesn't mean they will but that is what I plan for when I buy them. If they don't perform after I have tried all the basics to tighten them up then they don't hang around too long.

GB45

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK it has been a while but I'd thought I'd follow up here.
Problem was bad scope that went back to Burris.
The best I could do is 3/4" groups with good ammo at 50 yards.
Not good enough for me.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts