Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In June I bought my son a Handi Rifle in .44 mag for his 12th birthday. His first rifle and deer gun. I did the same for my 14 year old on his 12th birthday as well.

Anyway, after he opened it, we ran down to our range to break it in. After a few rounds, the transfer bar between the hammer and firing pin broke out. My heart sank and I could tell Zach's did too. I've heard nothing but horror stories regarding Marlin and Remington's customer service and repair services on this forum and others.

When we placed the call to H&R the CSR immediately sent out a prepaid packing slip. True to his word it showed up in a weeks time. We packed up the gun and sent it out about a week and a half ago. Yesterday (8/17) I decided to call and find out if the gun had been received and where we were at in the repair process. Quite honestly, expecting the worst and from the beginning, expecting this to take months. Which would really be a bummer because both my sons are looking forward to the "Youth Only" deer hunt weekend in Indiana at the end of September.

Well, I called, talked to a "Charles," and he looked up the SN# and said, "well, I show us receiving it last Thursday and then shipping back to you this week." I didn't really understand what he was saying to me. I asked if the gun had been repaired or just sent back. He read off the replaced parts on the ticket and said it's coming back to me and here's a tracking number. I tracked it and low and behold it was already in my town and we received it yesterday afternoon.

So, I'm more than happy with the service I got from H&R. Just wanted to share with the guys here.

BTW, check out the photos of my son's birthday. His face was priceless when he opened up that gun! Couple videos of him and my 14 year old shooting it before it broke.
http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/sickkitz/Zachs%2012th%20B-day/Zachs%20Handi%20Rifle%202011/

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Glad to see your son will soon be "back in business" with his rifle.
Your experience mirrors mine of several months ago.
I got a real good deal on a trade for an H&R with a stainless steel 30-06 barrel that patterned rather than grouped. It was about 5 years old. I too called H&R and then sent it in. I asked them to please give me a price quote prior to going wild with my money. 10 days from the day I sent my rifle in it arrived back at my front door (no phone call). The repair slip indicated the barrel had been replaced with a new one, also stainless. The new one had a scope base on it as I had removed the one on the original barrel (no iron sights). Too, someone had done a nice trigger job on it. Bottom line, "no charge" except for my shipping cost to them, which was about what the scope base alone would of cost. The '06' now shoots like a charm, and in fact I trade it back to the guy I got it from for a 22 Hornet, dies, brass and 300 bullets. I post the results of that trade a few months ago, after Wind made me a wood stock and mannlicher fore end. I am really pleased by their service. Shenandoah

·
Registered
43 Posts
Heavy Metal said:
In June I bought my son a Handi Rifle in .44 mag for his 12th birthday. His first rifle and deer gun. I did the same for my 14 year old on his 12th birthday as well.

Anyway, after he opened it, we ran down to our range to break it in. After a few rounds, the transfer bar between the hammer and firing pin broke out. My heart sank and I could tell Zach's did too. I've heard nothing but horror stories regarding Marlin and Remington's customer service and repair services on this forum and others.

When we placed the call to H&R the CSR immediately sent out a prepaid packing slip. True to his word it showed up in a weeks time. We packed up the gun and sent it out about a week and a half ago. Yesterday (8/17) I decided to call and find out if the gun had been received and where we were at in the repair process. Quite honestly, expecting the worst and from the beginning, expecting this to take months. Which would really be a bummer because both my sons are looking forward to the "Youth Only" deer hunt weekend in Indiana at the end of September.

Well, I called, talked to a "Charles," and he looked up the SN# and said, "well, I show us receiving it last Thursday and then shipping back to you this week." I didn't really understand what he was saying to me. I asked if the gun had been repaired or just sent back. He read off the replaced parts on the ticket and said it's coming back to me and here's a tracking number. I tracked it and low and behold it was already in my town and we received it yesterday afternoon.

So, I'm more than happy with the service I got from H&R. Just wanted to share with the guys here.

BTW, check out the photos of my son's birthday. His face was priceless when he opened up that gun! Couple videos of him and my 14 year old shooting it before it broke.
http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/sickkitz/Zachs%2012th%20B-day/Zachs%20Handi%20Rifle%202011/
Those pictures are priceless, I wish my folks took a picture the day I got my first Crosman BB rifle back when I was a kid, I went APE S%!T with JOY that day. ;D ;D I hope your son bags the biggest buck in the woods with that rifle. 8)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rice-n-Beans said:
Those pictures are priceless, I wish my folks took a picture the day I got my first Crosman BB rifle back when I was a kid, I went APE S%!T with JOY that day. ;D ;D I hope your son bags the biggest buck in the woods with that rifle. 8)
AREN'T THEY THOUGH? I still get a huge smile when I see his face in that picture! Man I hope both my sons bag big ones! That would be awesome. Thanks my friend!

Troy

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi, I had obtained a NEF rifle in .45-70 a year or so ago to be used for training my grand daughters, once they got older. I wanted to start their training with .223 Rem. and work up to .308 WIN.
So I down loaded the work order from the web, filled it out requesting the two barrels and sent it with the reciever to Reminton. This was on 09/06/11. I got it back on 09/26/11 (19 day turn around) with both barrels, ready to go.

Wow! Thanks Remington.

Reactions: AlaskaDawg

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Nice to read these positive posts about service. Very nice.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Nice to hear, sadly we just hear the horror stories not the ones when Remington comes through.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Tell your son congrats on the H&R rifle. The pics told the whole story.

We have many of the old 30-30 Topper barrels when they were made with a tapered profile making the barrels really light. We then mated them to a stronger SB2 receiver and most of them we added a 1-4x20 Leupold or a 1.75-4x32 Bushnell Banner that has 6" of eye relief. Put together one for each of my six grandsons and they really like shooting them with the 170 grain Sierra that we load with Hodgdons LeverEvolution propellant. These loads have very little recoil for the youngins and they have already learned the trigger and opersting discipline with a .223 Superlight they shot in the past. I have way too many H&R's and NEF's but enjoy the platform they are built on along with being a lefty, they are easy for me to operate. I like where the breeching lever is located vs. the contender and cva.

Heavy Metal,Thanks for sharing all that, and glad to see your son likes it.. I really don't expect H&R to remain viable so get the ones you want now........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts