Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a Pardner SB1 20ga full choke single shot shotgun. I would love to take it turkey hunting in a few weeks but am having trouble finding a load that patterns well out of it. I've tried winchester and federal 3in mags in #4 and #5 shot but am having groups that would cover the whole bird at 25 yards. I don't really need to shoot any longer than 25 yards but I would really like to get the group smaller. Someone told me that the size shot doesn't matter much as long as the grouping is fairly tight. He recommended trying #6 or #7 shot and said they might group better. He said Federal makes a turkey load with a flight control wad that might make a difference but I'm not sure I want to buy into specialty turkey loads unless they really make a big difference. Does anyone have any info on what might shoot well through this gun? Thanks for any and all advice. I love this gun and am sad that H&R is no longer around. They made quality products at great prices.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I use the Federal Heavyweight #7 in my 20ga Topper Deluxe Classic with a Trulock Precision Hunter extended full choke, I suspect it would do well in yours as well, Federal recommends a full choke with their Flitecontrol wads. I've killed turkeys at well over 50yds with it, the #7 Heavyweight shot has more energy than #5 lead and there's a heck of a lot more of em in the 1½oz load, they're kind of expensive but how many do you need to shoot a year!

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use the Federal Heavyweight #7 in my 20ga Topper Deluxe Classic with a Trulock Precision Hunter extended full choke, I suspect it would do well in yours as well, Federal recommends a full choke with their Flitecontrol wads. I've killed turkeys at well over 50yds with it, the #7 Heavyweight shot has more energy than #5 lead and there's a heck of a lot more of em in the 1½oz load, they're kind of expensive but how many do you need to shoot a year!

Tim
I did a little research and I have heard nothing but good things about Federal Heavyweight #7's. I am going to pick up some tomorrow if I can find them. Sounds like they would be perfect for my gun. The expense is worth the extra distance and better pattern. They will be well worth it if my gun likes them. I'll try to take a few pics to post of the groups I get out of them and maybe a couple of other shells to compare. Thanks for taking the time to respond, it helped a lot!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Try the "Old Gobbler" turkey site, a number of the folks use the single shots, you may find the info you need. My old full choke Wingmaster is killer with Winchester Super-X.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I did a little research and I have heard nothing but good things about Federal Heavyweight #7's. I am going to pick up some tomorrow if I can find them. Sounds like they would be perfect for my gun. The expense is worth the extra distance and better pattern. They will be well worth it if my gun likes them. I'll try to take a few pics to post of the groups I get out of them and maybe a couple of other shells to compare. Thanks for taking the time to respond, it helped a lot!
I've never found them locally, always had to buy from Midway, get em now cuz they're seasonal, there's a rebate on em too which helps.

Tim

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...ight-non-toxic-shot-flitecontrol-wad-box-of-5

1 - 5 of 5 Posts