Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in getting a 20 ga single shot H&R or NEF that has rifle sights, but not one of the newer front heavy thick barreled slug guns. Does anyone know what model I should search for or were all slug models made with the thicker profile barrels? I am hoping to have a lightweight hiking gun with a short barrel and capable of accuracy with slugs, shot and/or rifled inserts for pistol calibers.

·
Registered
717 Posts
A lot of the guys at the H+R forum use standard smoothbore barrels choked modified then try several brands of slugs to find the best shootin one. Theres enough meat on a 20 gauge barrel to drill and tap blind holes for sights. I have a 26"20gauge barrel I had threaded for choke tubes. A nice, light shotgun I can do most anything with with carefully selected chokes and loads.....Mike

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction...now I know what model #'s to look for. I also like the idea of cutting down standard choked shotgun barrel and adding rifle sights to it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm in the middle of a project just like this. I have a 12ga to 45 ACP adapter and am impressed with accuracy out of my dad's slug gun.

I am adding sights to a Springfield single shot I've had for many years. I'm waiting on my loctite black max 380 to glue the sights with.

I like the idea of shooting shot, buck, slugs, and 45 acp out of one gun. I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just found a 20 ga H&R Topper Buck 162 but I haven't picked it up yet. When I do I think it will work out very well. Now I am looking into what brand of adapters to buy....

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I have made many slug guns. I bought a Rigid pipe cutter dedicated for shotgun barrels only and shotgun muzzle cutters with pilot
from Brownells.12&20g. They also sell low temp silver solder thar can be used with a propane torch. Most of these I fitted with
sights from Rem 700s, most everyone takes them off when scoped. Out of all the single barrels if I was going to do this for myself,
i would look for a older gun in good condition. Like a Savage/Stevens 94 series or older H&R or IJ, they are much better guns and
worth the trouble. Also the old FC barrels seem to make the best slug guns, cut off.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I am noticing is that none of the manufacturers are making a 5"-10" rifled adapter for a 20 ga that would chamber a 357 mag/38 special/9mm round...you would have thought at least a 357/38 rifled tube would be available and a good seller too. Maybe I need to keep looking.

·
Registered
23,251 Posts
I have a h&r single 12 ga rifle sights smooth bore, very lite, it shoots trueball slugs great, and buck shot, great to carry, but the recoil is brutal, I mean heavy my fathers 458 win kicks about the same, sooooo a 20 ga should be better.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I thought in going with the 20 ga....I think getting the 357 mag insert so I can use 38 specials and maybe 9mm in an emergency would compliment the use of slugs and regular shot loads for a good survival/camp gun. To make it worth while, I'll try to get the longest rifled insert I can find within reason as far as the price goes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts