Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first H&R/NEF gun. I've won it on GB, haven't got it in hand yet. She's a 45-70. Anybody ever fool with hand loading for these 45-70 H&R rifles? I'm thinking about hunting with Lever Evolution rounds in it, but may also mess with making up some cast lead or paper patched bullets for it. I used to get some very good accuracy with ppb's in my 1895 before I sold it.

Any load suggestions (be they specific or just general) would be appreciated. I think I have plenty of IMR 3031, some Reloader 7, and maybe a can of 4198 (not sure which) kicking around in the loading room.

Also, what is the story behind the 'Shikari'? The word means guide in India, the rifle has a ramrod, and the caliber is 45-70? I understand the concept of the buffalo classic, it's supposed to look like an old buffalo gun, but I've never met anyone who did any Indian big game guiding to understand the market concept behind the Shikari name or setup. I was drawn by the clean lines and the ramrod on the bottom. It looks like a muzzle loader.

I may try my hand at making some replacement stocks out of a better grade of wood, I have some old walnut stock blanks kicking around here that are taking up space and collecting dust. They guy who bought them passed away 10-20 years ago, and his family gave them to me. Time to make a stock or put them in a fire.

What loads do you like in your 45-70 H&R? What is the story behind the 'shikari' rifle? Why the ramrod? Does anyone know?

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
The M155 Shikari was made in 44mag and 45-70 from 1972-81, the 45-70 was made with 24" and 28" barrels, the 44mag with 24" barrels, the "ramrod" is a cleaning rod. The 1974 catalog page in Goforth's books states it was made "with styling reminiscent of the frontier era".

Due to the cast iron frame and soldered underlug, trapdoor only loads are required.

Tim

http://www.chuckhawks.com/wyoming_buffalo_hunt.htm

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one I have coming was drilled and tapped, so I'll probably scope it. Hoping to get some flat shooting paper patch then, since I'm limited to trapdoor velocities. May not need a patch at those speeds. Good info, only now I'm wanting to save up for a buffalo hunt!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I use mine for shooting "Plainsman" in SASS, which calls for a single shot rifle, cap and ball revolvers and double barrel or lever action shotgun with BP loads. I use a load of 777 and grits and usually a 350 gr. cast bullet. I also have a Handi in 45/70 that I have used and most recently got an H&R trapdoor Little Big Horn to use. You may find that the cleaning rod parts company with the rifle after a couple of shots- usually no big deal. I wrapped a strip of thin tanned deer hide around mine and that keeps it in place. These are fun guns to make smoke with because they are so easy to clean- I simply take off the fore end, pull the barrel and dump some hot water through then follow with a couple oiled patches while it's still hot.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any suggestions for a flat shooting 'trapdoor' velocity load? I'm wondering about either a 300 or 350 grain bullet at maximum trapdoor velocity. Our deer are fairly small. Most of the terrain I hunt is very thick brush, with shooting lanes or abandoned logging roads that I can shoot up to about 200 yards on. I'm hoping to find a load that I can zero in 2.5~3" high at 100, and have a 'hold on the back' at 200 and be good to go.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Victum, I didn't think that a rifle with an "ejector" could be used in SASS. Did you make yours into an "extractor"? My Shikari pops out empties or loaded rounds with vigor.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quickdtoo, that's the ammo I bought a box of this on sale last week. I wanted it partly for hunting and partly for reloadable brass. But they say the brass is shorter than spec, and I don't want to buy 2-3 boxes and the rifle won't group with it. I hope the gun likes it, this was the factory fodder I'd planned to use with it if it groups well. (Gun is not here to test just yet, waiting excitedly like a kid before Christmas).

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
I've only shot it in one of my 22" Handis, 1½" 100yds groups, but another member here has shot it in his SS Ultra Hunter with 24" barrel, here's a pic of his target.

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Travlin- As Plainsman is a side match allowances are usually made for long guns. The match director can designate what rifles are in what category. Typically there will be a classic category for rifles with ejectors and a vintage category for rifles with extractors. It is possible that there might even be a third category for trapdoors even though they have an ejector. My apologies to the OP, as it was not my intention to hijack his thread.
Vic

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No worries Victum. Fine by me. Quick, if I knew my gun would group with that load like that, I'd be stocking up on that ammo. It should be a very good blend of economy (at current sales prices), power, and flat trajectory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts