Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this beast a couple weeks ago. It had a nice Talley mount and rings, and a 4x scope like is sold for an SKS. First thing I did was toss the cheap scope and install a Redfield 2-7x34.

Took it to the range, and found out quickly that this thing is a hammer on both ends! Shot a few rounds and installed a LimbSaver slip on recoil pad that I brought along just in case. It still kicks like 3” 12 gauge turkey loads.

Sleeve Air gun Wood Everyday carry Trigger

·
Premium Member
12,237 Posts
Shot my 500 mag S&W revolver a fair bit over the years. Accurate. But ya, the recoil is, interesting. :)

As in, it gains attention.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
94 Posts
That’s a nice rifle, I didn’t know they made those. I knew about the bighorn armory 500s but not that, and redfields will always be great scopes, they are my favorite.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have one in .30-06 that kicks so hard I put it on the gun show table and tried to sell it. Paid $100 for it.
After 4 or 5 shows of no interest I took it back home and refinished the wood and installed a front sight to go with a Williams peep. It will go on the rack with the other 3 Handi's.
Probably never will use the irons but the front gives the rifle that "old school" look.
Next time I go to the range I'm going to try shooting off my back pack to see if being more upright might help.
Wood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle part Tints and shades
Automotive tire Chainsaw Handheld power drill Drill Tool

·
Registered
333 Posts
Shooting more upright definitely helps. A standing bench is even better. Porting will definitely help as well. I have a Browning BAR in .338 Win Mag that's MagPorted and the recoil is less than a bolt 30-06.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
jlsa!!
(Slaps forehead...) Porting! I never even considered porting! I did consider a brake, but gave that up not liking the look of a brake. Gotta talk to the Magna-Port folks!! THANKS!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've had a Handi in .500 S&W that I bought when they came out. I put a walnut stock on it from one of the Handi carbines and Tim may remember that I had cut the barrel down to 16". It does literally leap off the bench when I shoot 440 gr. handloads from it. On another note I just today bought a pristine Handi in .243 for $250. It's the first Handi I've seen for sale locally in a number of years and given it's condition I couldn't pass it up.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
$250 in this neighborhood is very good money for any Handi-Rifle! You did good!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts