Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an H&R frame that currently has a shotgun barrel on it. The frame is color case hardened like most other shotgun frames. This one however has the small diameter rifle sized firing pin. The serial number starts with AUxxxxxxx and when I called NEF they told me it was made in 1996 and since NEF took over in 1997 they could give me no information except the year it was made.

I think this may be a rifle frame and the rifle barrel was lost or otherwise separated from the whole by a prior owner. I have several H&R and NEF products, rifles and shotguns, but I really don't know much about the distinguishing factors of rifle/shotgun frames. I have read that the rifle frames are heat treated differently from the shotgun frames and that makes sense. I also know that the rifle frames have small diameter firing pins while shotgun only frames have the larger shotshell diameter firing pin.

I know that NEF will not sell or fit a barrel to this frame because of the year of MFG and the timing of the take over of the current owners, but If any of you have information about the differences and can help identify this as a rifle frame, as I suspect that it is, I may be able to locate a barrel of some rifle caliber thru a diferent source and have it fitted locally. I'll have to search out a 'smith in my area too.

I have a new NEF 45/70 and it is shooting great and really like this little rifle. The name "Handi Rifle" fits them well.

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Prior to 86 makes more sense since the current numbering system started in '86 with A in the second position of the serial number, the first character being N for NEF or H for H&R. An A in the first position would indicate the previous Harrington & Richardson as the mfr. They will fit barrels to frames with the N or H prefix, but no high pressure barrels to frames built before '97. You may have a old Shikari frame which was originally issued in 45-70 and 44mag and was case colored, IIRC. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot low pressure caliber barrels on it like .30-30, 22 Hornet or any of the handgun calibers, but I wouldn't use a high pressure caliber on it which would be any of the asterisked barrels on the accessory barrel list.

Hope this helps,

Tim

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I guess I'll have a hard time getting my hands on a rifle barrel and getting it fitted to this one probably. 45/70 is the caliber I'd like to barrel it to.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Watch the NEF/H&R Classifieds at Graybeard, they show up often. They're also on Ebay a lot, there's one now, but they usually sell for too much, the last used one I bought was $75 shipped. There are barrel fitting instructions in the FAQ in the NEF/H&R Centerfire forum at Graybeard, also.

Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts