Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this firearm capable of handling the loads in the "Ruger Blackhawk/Contender Only" load data?
Is it factory drilled and tapped for a scope?

C.S.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Yes and yes, the BC Carbine comes on an SB2 rifle frame, same as the Handi which is chambered in 270 Win and 500S&W as well as many other high pressure chamberings. I rechambered mine to 460S&W, lots have rechambered to 454 Casull too, both have a SAAMI MAP of 65kpsi. All modern H&R rifle barrels are drilled and tapped for a scope base. CDNN may still have them in stock, it's on page 61 in their current catalog for $229.99, they charge $17 shipping to your FFL.

Tim

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Tim.

I thought I had found a used one out the door for a little over $200. But it seems to have been sold. I'm having a hard time deciding which way I want to go.

I'm wanting something to deer hunt with but don't have much $$ to put in it. I have an extra Marlin '94CB that I could use or, I've thought about selling it and getting either an H&R .45 Carbine or a Marlin XL7 .270 and having a little dough left over. I have everything to load the .45 and ALOT already loaded. I have all that I need for the .270 too. Where I hunt I don't "need" anything with the .270's range. But it'd be nice to know it's there if I did need it.

Decisions, decisions!! ::)

Thanks,
C.S.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I looked at one of these today at a local shop. It is used, but looked really good until.......

I broke it open. Is the ejector supposed to pop like the other H&Rs I've handled? My 45-70 shoots brass 7-8 feet. This one looked like it would simply extract the brass but not eject it. I didn't know if that was normal.

I then looked down the barrel and it looked like someone shot black powder loads in it and didn't clean it. Very ugly. It looked pretty rusty. I don't know if it was permanently damaged.

That is a sharp model even if this speciman was rough. I bet they carry great. Very short and handy. I may see if they will knock the price down because of the condition.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I've got a H&R BC in 45 Colt and it is a fun gun to shoot. Accurate and dependable. I also have the Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt and if I were you I wouldn't sell it. With all the issues nowadays with the Marlins the 45 Colt could become a thing of the past.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
H&R hasn't made an ejector centerfire rifle barrel since 2007, all are extractors, only rimfire and shotgun barrels come with ejectors. They test fire all firearms before they leave the factory, so they'll likely come with powder fouling in the bore, I've bought lots on new H&Rs in the last 7yrs, most have been fouled, I don't think they take the time to run a patch through them very often before they box em up.

Tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
CDNN still has the H&R Classic Carbine 45 Colt for $229.

I just ordered one monday and it has arrived at the pawn shop ... waiting to get entered in the books and hopefully transferred to me tomorrow.

Are these carbines still in production? I know they were once listed in Davidson's Gallery, and I wonder if they were a Davidson's Exclusive?

I'm pretty excited about getting and shooting this little carbine.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
They were discontinued in late 2007 or early 2008 when production was still in Gardner, never a Davidson's exclusive, they've been available from lots of sources, Bud's, Able, RR and many other dealers. CDNN had 300 of them in stock earlier this year, still listed in their latest catalog on page 55 for $229.99, actual shipping is $17.98 for a total of $247.97, plus what ever your FFL charges, they even had them for $199.99 for a little while, ask for Kenneth when you call, (800)588-9500. ;)

Tim

·
Registered
459 Posts
You could. The beauty of the .45 is that most Handi centerfire barrels have the same outside diameter. Thus, the .45 is very light compared to most Handis. They are mostly all HX serial number aka 2007 production. Some have had oversized chamber issues. That is about the only problem reported. If you want a .45 Colt carbine, there are not too many choices these days. And none in this price range.

·
Super Moderator
12,516 Posts
quickdtoo said:
They were discontinued in late 2007 or early 2008 when production was still in Gardner, never a Davidson's exclusive, they've been available from lots of sources, Bud's, Able, RR and many other dealers. CDNN had 300 of them in stock earlier this year, still listed in their latest catalog on page 55 for $229.99, actual shipping is $17.98 for a total of $247.97, plus what ever your FFL charges, they even had them for $199.99 for a little while, ask for Kenneth when you call, (800)588-9500. ;)

Tim
Well I've wanted one for a while so ordered one yesterday, still $247.97 shipped just as Tim said. My local FFL charges $10 for transfers so its a pretty good deal. I asked the guy how many they had left and he said they only had SEVEN (7) left. So anybody who's been wanting one of these at a good price might want to jump in too before they are gone.

·
Super Moderator
12,516 Posts
Just wanted to update with a couple of pics taken at the range this week. Crappy cell phone pics but you can see mine has some decent figure to the buttstock which was a nice surprise. I tried it out with a trio of favorite .45 Colt loads at 25 and 50 yards but couldn't tell much difference in accuracy. All seemed to shoot high and to the right, guess I'll need a new front sight and a drift punch to remedy that. That steel buttplate really digs into the shoulder though after a while though which really gives me second thoughts to adding a .308 barrel. Pretty neat little gun though, it would be fun to use this for deer one day..

Closeup of some of the loads tested including the Lee 452-255-RF, Lee 452-252-SWC and Ranch Dog TLC454-290-RF bullet profiles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can an ejector mechanism be made to work on one of these? I bought mine for SASS Plainsman events and it would be nice for the shell to be ejected instead of extracted.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've been away for awhile, busy playing with silhouettes, but I remember the
carbines being a little "pricey" when they were first available ? I recently bought a really
nice one at a gun show for $250, thinking I got a great deal. It looks and shoots
great and I'm happy with that, but I guess it was an O.K. deal and not the great deal
I though I found. Any comments?

·
Registered
890 Posts
The one I've seen locally is $189. I'm not sure if it's used, but the bore was a mess when I looked through it. It looks new otherwise. If anyone wants it it's in Port Saint Joe Florida.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
I may need to go buy the one here and put it on GB.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts