Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandad recently celebrated his 90th birthday. He gave me his father's shotgun. It's a beautiful old H&R Bay State 12 gauge. The metal has a really cool old brown patina and the wood has a character you will never find in a modern gun. Lockup is tight and in very good shape. From information I could gather, I think the gun was purchased by my great grandad in 1931. This was likely the gun that was used to feed the family during the great depression.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Very nice. You're fortunate to have that shotgun as a memory of your great-grandfather.

If it could only talk....

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm honored to have been chosen to carry on this gun. My grandad told me he shot a pheasant with it not knowing it was out of season as a boy in Indiana. His mom was upset with him but being the depression, cooked up the evidence for supper. He never did shoot anything else with it. I'm going to see if I can't get a squirrel or rabbit with it this year.

·
Registered
13,757 Posts
Nice shotgun, those Bay States were fine old single barrels. Makes the last H&Rs look like junk. They are a gun that if taken care of will be used by your great grandkids. I got one in 410 that people are always trying to trade me out of. I just keep it for kids in family.

·
Premium Member
13,562 Posts
I know you will treasure it as it should be. That's a fine shotgun and it deserves to be taken hunting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts