Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg Came into a LNIB 45-70 Trapper which is great. I also have a spare Leupold fixed 2.5x. thinking of putting them together. This rifle might become my daughter's "while berry picking just in case rifle"as she keeps saying small and light weight. If she goes with a different rifle think this would become my boat, camp, loaner rifle. I really like the 2.5 fixed on one of my Model 41 barrels, and liked one on an old rifle. Does it ruin the keep it simple? Might even hunt this one...little mixed on this. Nice little rifle with a classic big round.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Two things, scope bite & Kentucky elevation

Niether are easy with a scope. Thats why we use flip up ladder sights.

Besides they look way cooler on a lever

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I have a Buffalo Classic I've kept with peeps, and like it that way. When push comes to shove, I like a scope for hunting, as November, and particularly December means dark in our country. I need all the help I can get at 51. If its just a camp/protection gun, then all bets are off. I like open sights.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Buffalo Classic I've kept with peeps, and like it that way. When push comes to shove, I like a scope for hunting, as November, and particularly December means dark in our country. I need all the help I can get at 51. If its just a camp/protection gun, then all bets are off. I like open sights.
Yes, clarity of purpose clears what to do or not with the scope. Will see what my daughter may want out of this or if this is the next rifle for her and go from there. She does not like the weight or bulk of the Marlin 45-70 so have been trying to find options with that in mind.

Youth 30-30? The round is light for grizzly but much better than her current choice of a 357 S&W revolver. Looked at a 20 gauge 870 with her but that did not go over. Wish Marlin still made a stainless 44, especially a Trapper length, but even a regular one I could have coated. The weight is right for the H&R but of course the single shot is a mixed story. 45-70 though. Hoping it may become not only a berry picking/camp gun but perhaps even her next hunting rifle.

She currently hunts moose with her 243 and someone backing her up. Would like to see her move up a bit although good results with moose to date with 100 grain Nosler Partition and careful broadside shots. Admit really over think all this with my daughter and she finds it amusing. Will let her shoot the H&R as is with no scope and a mild load and see.

·
Premium Member
28,803 Posts
I'd not, and keep them cool looks and the easy carrying.
I know I would peep it, and I might sling it with a simple piece of leather.
But I just couldn't scope it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts