Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I recently saw one at a local Pawn Shop listed for $150. The stock was dented and scratched. The "elitists" ignore rifles like this but they're built tough and have very few moving parts to go wrong.

TR

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Don't specifically know how much as the region varies greatly here in very short distances. Personally I wouldn't give more than 250.00 like new and about 200.00ish for anything in reasonable shape. The price TR lists above sounds in line.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - I'll start cruising Pawn Shops...I figured $200 but didn't know if their value had gone up since they are no longer being produced. There's a ton of them around so shouldn't be too pricey. Thanks for the replies - I just realized I put this in the wrong forum (shotguns) - my apologies.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I think some of the calibers will draw a relative premium with those but would imagine the 30-30 is probably one of the most produced.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hijacking my own thread - I have a 45/70 on a sb2 frame- how complicated would it be to get a 30/30 barrel fitted to the frame now that H&R is no longer? Is anyone else doing this?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I have a Topper 158 30-30/20 gauge combo plus two other H&R Handi's. Neither of the two Handi's barrels will even come close to fitting the action of the Topper. You might check out Graybeards Outdoor Forums as there are a lot of diehard H&R fans over there that can answer your question.

Added: Should mention my Topper was bought somewhere around the mid 80's.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
Hijacking my own thread - I have a 45/70 on a sb2 frame- how complicated would it be to get a 30/30 barrel fitted to the frame now that H&R is no longer? Is anyone else doing this?
Having had upwards of 70 barrels and over 50 complete H&R rifles, I'd say getting a good fit of a second hand barrel on your frame can be a crap shoot, I've had barrels that didn't come close to fitting and others that fit perfect with no fitting adjustments necessary at all, having many frames to pick from simplified the issue greatly, working with one frame isn't ideal. I'd say more often than not, some fitting will be required, half the battle is knowing what and how to check fit then making the right corrections to get a good fit. Some say that like year production helps, but I've never found that to be true.

Tim

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/108-h-r-centerfire-rifles/63831-barrel-fitting-novice.html#post440957

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/108-h...s-fit-without-modification-2.html#post1220463

·
Registered
220 Posts
Don't specifically know how much as the region varies greatly here in very short distances. Personally I wouldn't give more than 250.00 like new and about 200.00ish for anything in reasonable shape. The price TR lists above sounds in line.
The 30/30 is fairly popular with H&R fans so even $300 for a LNIB would not be out of line. Especially on an SB2 receiver.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I have one in 30-30, SB2 frame. It came with base, rings and a cheap BSA scope and plastic stock. I paid $300 for it in great condition. I got a good deal on a new set of laminated wood for $65 and put on it. I bought it for a rebore project a couple years ago, but it hasn't happened yet. If I decide against the project, I'll probably list it here for sale.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.