Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Forgive me if this is not the best forum for this topic but it didn't seem to fit elsewhere.

I recently acquired a 37" H.H. Heiser leather scabbard. Based on the mark, I believe it was made between 1919 and 1955. It is also my understanding that Heiser products are collectable. Other than that, I'm struggling to find any information about the history and/or value of this scabbard. I thought some of the bright folks here might be able to educate me.

Thanks!

Heiser 7.jpeg Heiser 3.jpeg Heiser 1.jpeg

·
Registered
255 Posts
No idea about the specifics, but that is a beautiful piece!

Reactions: ywu

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Purty! Hang in there, some of the members here know a lot about collectible gun leather. Mainly though, I hope you enjoy using it.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
H H Heiser made some nice stuff. I have a cartridge belt by them not sure the age, but its old and in good shape. Got it full of 45 long colts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, VWU

That's a lot of leeway in dates for a leather item. You're correct about that mark having been in use between1919 and 1955. Because of that, I'd hate to hazard a guess on this simply because there's no apparent history on who owned it and where it might have been. My best guess based on wear and tear and general appearance would be post WWII but that might be later than actual. I'm basing this more or less off of the fact that it has been used well and been taken care of. I would assume that if it was earlier that there would be more sweat and distinctly harder wear marks on it. The question again being if it was used once a year on an elk hunt or constantly for patrolling for varmints or other bad things that need shooting.

Heiser stuff is collectible but not like some other makers are. Heiser was a huge house back in its day. It was among the 1st to really use mass marketing by catalogue to get their name out there. They also built a lot of stuff under other people's names-- sorta like hardware store shotguns. As a result, they made an awful lot of stuff so there's a metric truckload of it out there. (Lots of George Lawrence and Myers stuff too!) That probably means that it's not worth a bazillion dollars but that it sure is worth something and that it is certainly collectible and will accrue more value over the years -- particularly if you maintain it as we'll as its former owner did. Hang on to it and keep an eyeball peeled on Gun Brokers, Guns America and even eBay. Those guys all show Heiser stuff now and again and by following the paths and observing the pictures posted, you should be able to get a pretty good idea on what it's worth. Ultimately though, you have to realize that the value is only what someone else is willing to pay. Having said that, however, there is simply nothing that can take the in-your-facedness of owning a real bonefied Heiser piece away from you! That, as they say is truly priceless.

Reguerdos
Purdy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts